Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seamor0512

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2015
TB3 / usb-c ports are no thicker than the usb-c port that is on your rMB right now, please do your research.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
No, man, that's where you don't get it. The processor is increasingly irrelevant. Data is relevant, and so is the ability to move data. Bandwidth is where it's at. Why is the SSD better than a hard drive? Why is RAM going to give you more of a performance kick than a processor upgrade? Bandwidth.

I was always taught that the pipe coming in/out may be great but if you don't have the processor that can interpret, compile, process, and move the data just as quickly it bottlenecks and makes the pipe irrelevant.

BJ

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
I was always taught that the pipe coming in/out may be great but if you don't have the processor that can interpret, compile, process, and move the data just as quickly it bottlenecks and makes the pipe irrelevant.

BJ

There's always a bottleneck somewhere, but "it's the CPU" isn't a safe assumption.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
There's always a bottleneck somewhere, but "it's the CPU" isn't a safe assumption.

Well let's forget assumptions and get to the facts. Is the CPU on the RMB sufficient to get the huge benefits that Thunderbolt provides? Let's forget for a moment that the type of person who would want that type of bandwidth for the sake of performance would never consider an RMB anyway. If the RMB had the capability, would it be as good as the Pro for pushing that kind of data through the pipe or no? Is Thunderbolt processor agnostic or something?

BJ

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
Well let's forget assumptions and get to the facts. Is the CPU on the RMB sufficient to get the huge benefits that Thunderbolt provides? Let's forget for a moment that the type of person who would want that type of bandwidth for the sake of performance would never consider an RMB anyway.

Do you suppose that the type of person who would prefer a "Retina" HiDPI display might enjoy a HiDPI external monitor — say, a 4K monitor — and some external storage attached, maybe even an SSD? Because that use case outstrips the capacity of USB 3.1 Gen 2, whenever it comes around.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Do you suppose that the type of person who would prefer a "Retina" HiDPI display might enjoy a HiDPI external monitor — say, a 4K monitor — and some external storage attached, maybe even an SSD? Because that use case outstrips the capacity of USB 3.1 Gen 2, whenever it comes around.

I'm not sure. That type of person probably would want a 1080p camera and not the 480p cam that's part of the RMB, probably would have bought a different notebook if docking to a monitor was important, wouldn't need an ultraportable. If massive amounts of storage is a must, 500GB is pretty paltry too.

This feels like yet another realistic wish for a future MacBook Pro Extra Thin, not the Retina MacBook.

BJ

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
That type of person probably would want a 1080p camera and not the 480p cam that's part of the RMB, probably would have bought a different notebook if docking to a monitor was important, wouldn't need an ultraportable.

I am that type of person. An ultraportable that docks with a monitor on my desktop, yet weighs next to nothing, is perfect for the business traveler. With respect to the camera, most of my video conferences are on WebEx or Google Hangouts and there's always a zillion people on them. Consequently the image of my mug is relatively small and 480p/1080p hasn't presented a substantive difference.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I am that type of person. An ultraportable that docks with a monitor on my desktop, yet weighs next to nothing, is perfect for the business traveler. With respect to the camera, most of my video conferences are on WebEx or Google Hangouts and there's always a zillion people on them. Consequently the image of my mug is relatively small and 480p/1080p hasn't presented a substantive difference.

I'm exactly the same as you in that regard. However, I have a cumbersome and powerful notebook computer that my company gives me and it lives docked to my desk and a monitor in my office permanently. My RMB is a personal purchase that I use only for travel or quick meetings in the boardroom.

Your RMB isn't supposed to be your everyday go-to notebook. It's situational. It's a relief pitcher. It's your weekend convertible. Judge it properly.

BJ

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Of course it is your everyday go-to notebook. It really depends on individual needs, and people who believe the majority of normal people out there, needs something faster than the rMB is delusional.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Of course it is your everyday go-to notebook. It really depends on individual needs, and people who believe the majority of normal people out there, needs something faster than the rMB is delusional.

Agree completely that the RMB has all the horsepower necessary for the vast majority of normal users. Definitely the case.

What I am saying is that for someone who has a huge 4K display with a Thunderbolt connection and a massive media collection and is into gaming that the RMB is not their "go-to" device, on these counts:

1. Its underpowered for that usecase.
2. Its portability is wasted for someone who is desk-bound and docked.
3. Its connectivity is limited for these types of peripherals.
4. Its price makes no sense, paying a premium for portability that's not often used.

BJ

iManic

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2016
Will be interesting to see how the skylake processors are managed if the update is released. The current gen macbook runs slightly "over clocked" specs on top of the standard Core M specs. I have the 1.3ghz model which runs the 5y-71 core m slightly bumped from the off the shelf 5y-71 at 1.2ghz. From what I have seen from quickly glancing specs the apple spec 1.3ghz nullifies the small cpu bump from Skylake and in the geek bench multicore test is a bit stronger at 5500 vs 5300 for the equivalent skylake core m 6y-75 at standard 1.3ghz spec. Now they might do the same to the skylake core m's and bump them up as well but its not guaranteed isn't the whole over clocking out of the norm for apple correct me if I'm wrong here I'm not certain. The GPU gains will deff still be there with skylake and no doubt they will help out in certain situations.

If they update to skylake/keep the standard clock speeds they can get the battery improvement from the new architecture and from not over clocking so its something that can be advertised on there end to draw attention. Im with Bolt that most of the people buying this computer don't care about the processor aslong as its not beach balling everywhere. Were a small crowd in the big picture even though I hope we get skylake & overclocked specs :) I would sell this beauty and upgrade in a heartbeat just don't see the business case for apple. Skylake also is still having a lot of sleep/battery drain issues that i have unfortunately had to deal with on my Surface Pro 4. I guess time will tell

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
A review of the Asus Zenbook ux305ca looks promising for Skylake.

Wow, that Far Cry 2 benchmark... On a fanless 4.5W ultrabook. Now I'm kind of impressed. Those sort of benchmarks are looking like Skylake Core M will be quite a nice little improvement.

Anyone seen any Core M benchmarks with Civilisation 5? I'm not using it as a gaming system but being able to play a 'few' turns while at my friends place would be pretty cool.

April Knight

Suspended
Jul 24, 2011
Olympia, WA
So is there a point in waiting for Skylake for the RMB? I don't necessarily NEED a computer now (I could wait maybe two months). Will it be a big performance increase, and is Gen. 2 RMB supposed to come out early in this year, or in the fall?

Last edited:

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
So is there a point in waiting for Skylake for the RMB? I don't necessarily NEED a computer now (I could wait maybe two months). Will it be a big performance increase, and is Gen. 2 RMB supposed to come out early in this year, or in the fall?

Advice would be to wait two months because Apple is supposed to announce brand new Pro's and Air's at that time which will impact your decision on the RMB; it may be that a new Air has gotten thinner, Skylake, retina, etc. and be less expensive than the RMB, could be that the RMB gets Skylake and bigger screen options, we don't know so it's best to wait a few months if you can.

BJ

iManic

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2016
Wow, that Far Cry 2 benchmark... On a fanless 4.5W ultrabook. Now I'm kind of impressed. Those sort of benchmarks are looking like Skylake Core M will be quite a nice little improvement.

Anyone seen any Core M benchmarks with Civilisation 5? I'm not using it as a gaming system but being able to play a 'few' turns while at my friends place would be pretty cool.

Those GPU benchmarks look very promising and this was the lower end 6y-30 core m it should get even better with the higher clocked gpu of the higher end models. Not sure if you had a chance to read my previous post but is what apple did with the first gen rMB in "overclocking" the standard base intel core M's out of the ordinary? I have not seen them do this with any other CPU's and not sure if any other PC manufacture did the same with any Broadwell Core M models? The iGPU gains are awesome cant wait to see more results this could be very interesting

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

If you read through the thread, you'll see that there's a wide difference of opinion on whether there will be an update, when it will occur, and what improvements it will bring. One rumor has Apple holding some sort of event in March. If true, this could be when they announce upgraded laptops, but none of us knows for sure.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I think Boltjames accounts for 80% of those opinions, and even he is starting to step away from the "NO SKYLAKE IN 2016!!!!111!" retoric as we can see above

Personally I get all giddy each tuesday from now on, as I know the new MB may be released any time. (Still think it will be around the early March event, but one can hope for a regular tuesday release!)

Reactions: navaira

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I think Boltjames accounts for 80% of those opinions, and even he is starting to step away from the "NO SKYLAKE IN 2016!!!!111!" retoric as we can see above

Personally I get all giddy each tuesday from now on, as I know the new MB may be released any time. (Still think it will be around the early March event, but one can hope for a regular tuesday release!)

For the record, I'm not stepping away from my opinion but it's not November, it's February, so where I was telling people not to wait back then and suffer without an RMB for 4-5 months the calendar has shifted to where rolling the dice and waiting for this phantom update is now the better idea for those so inclined.

I still do not think Apple touches the RMB until the Back To School timeframe of July/August at the earliest. We'll soon know.

BJ

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Those GPU benchmarks look very promising and this was the lower end 6y-30 core m it should get even better with the higher clocked gpu of the higher end models. Not sure if you had a chance to read my previous post but is what apple did with the first gen rMB in "overclocking" the standard base intel core M's out of the ordinary? I have not seen them do this with any other CPU's and not sure if any other PC manufacture did the same with any Broadwell Core M models? The iGPU gains are awesome cant wait to see more results this could be very interesting

My money would be on seeing the same clock speeds as before and probably using a 6Y54 or 6Y57 for the base model, they start at 1.1GHz. Also was reading the actual CPU package is smaller than Broadwell Core-M which means more room for the Alpine Ridge chip (TB3 over Type-C) or a smaller motherboard. Either way I'm quietly excited and glad I waited.
All I need now is a second Type-C port and it would be everything I wanted - but no idea if they would do that.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/20...-faster-core-m-and-ultrabook-gpus-with-edram/

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Why would any Windows user know a damn thing about Thunderbolt? Let me remind you, 92% of all computers in the world run Windows, less than 8% run OSX. Read tech portals? Sure, about Windows machines and iOS hardware, definitely. Mac? Barely know anyone who use those. In the world of Windows, USB and HDMI are all we need, Apple makes tiny adapters that allow the RMB to play nice with those so all set there.

Wow, I agreed with some of your posts until I came across this uneducated ill informed and ignorant nonsense. This and your post before might be the the worst two posts i've ever seen on here, and thats saying something.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Wow, I agreed with some of your posts until I came across this uneducated ill informed and ignorant nonsense. This and your post before might be the the worst two posts i've ever seen on here, and thats saying something.

I work with 100s of people, only a handful use Mac's, I've never come across a Thunderbolt cable in my life and I've been using computers since 1985. I'm not going to apologize because Apple is a niche player in the world of computers and hasn't been able to achieve more than an 8% share of a market they invented 40 years ago. I bow humbly before the dominant pulpit of iOS, but OSX is an overrated pile of trash, happy I kicked it to the curb for Windows 10 in my RMB.

BJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.