Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Must also be an early prototype. 4GB of what appears to be comparatively slow 1066 DDR3 memory? 2.4 Ghz clock speed?

Interesting but probably not representative, although the end result might be similar.

Based on the naming, 6Y75, it probably is the successor to the 5Y71 that Apple is using in the 1.3 model, and as bcaslis says, it is right there where the 1.3 MB is.

The promise for Skylake as far as the next rMB is concerned is probably in the GPU. The CPU is apparently going to see only circa 10% performance increases, and this anecdotal result seems to bear that out. With no DDR4 support coming to Y series Skylake, and probably no TB coming to the rMB line, likewise for wireless charging support, Skylake will probably, other than the GPU boost, be a pretty unremarkable incremental upgrade - for the MB. It will prbably be more exciting for the MBP that uses the Core i processors.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Must also be an early prototype. 4GB of what appears to be comparatively slow 1066 DDR3 memory? 2.4 Ghz clock speed?

Interesting but probably not representative, although the end result might be similar.

Based on the naming, 6Y75, it probably is the successor to the 5Y71 that Apple is using in the 1.3 model, and as bcaslis says, it is right there where the 1.3 MB is.

The promise for Skylake as far as the next rMB is concerned is probably in the GPU. The CPU is apparently going to see only circa 10% performance increases, and this anecdotal result seems to bear that out. With no DDR4 support coming to Y series Skylake, and probably no TB coming to the rMB line, likewise for wireless charging support, Skylake will probably, other than the GPU boost, be a pretty unremarkable incremental upgrade - for the MB. It will prbably be more exciting for the MBP that uses the Core i processors.

There might be some positive changes in external display support as well, from what I understand.

If the Skylake release really is worlds better than this one, I'll consider ebaying my 2015 MacBook and paying the difference as an upgrade fee. I think it will be a lot more incremental, as you said.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
i am asking a question, not stating my intention

that is what these forums are for, if you answered that to every question the forums would not work

please re read post i wrote above

The problem is that there are all kinds of threads on this already. In fact, I wish the mods would make a sticky - buy now or wait for Skylake refresh thread where everyone can discuss.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
hould buy it now and sell when new model appears???

Yes, you should buy it now if you want it because it's a great machine and newly released. There will almost certainly be a slightly improved version out in about a year. You might not think the upgrade is worth it at that time, or you might. When an upgraded one that you really like the look of comes out, either in one or two or three or more years, sell it then and buy the new one.

How hard is this?

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012

that is what these forums are for, if you answered that to every question the forums would not work

How could we answer this for you? If you want to wait a year, then wait a year for the new model. If you want to buy now and then sell and upgrade in a year, then do that.

It's your money.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
If they can get this MacBook down to 999 then RIP MacBook Air. :)

That's almost as much as my 2012 13" MacBook Pro. That's fantastic.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Please answer my post above. October at the soonest. Are you willing to wait?

If the answer is yes, then wait. If the answer is no, then get one now, and sell it when the next comes out if you'd like.

ThoseBackPages

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
New York
if you are willing to wait, you can wait forever. when the refresh comes out, there will be people who will be waiting for th enext refresh

wash, rinse, repeat

Basically, you are going to be able to wait forever.

Buy now, enjoy.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

Without absolutely no reasoning for doing either, how should anyone but you be able to answer that?

But well, since unicorns have not appeared (except in North Korea), and that monkeys are not known to fly, I say buy.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I would wait until 2020 at least. That's when the really good CPUs are coming out. Or maybe 2021. I would wait anyway.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Ink and paper is the way to go. Futureproof and non of that battery suddenly dying on you. It was used by geniuses like Leonardo Da Vinci and Albert Einstein, so I guess it must be good enough. No refreshes, just buy more ink and paper. You can use all the money you saved on stamps.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple just released this model, there's a good chance we may not see a Skylake model for the rMB. If you want/need one now, buy one now. If you can wait until October to see what apple does then wait. It's not rocket science.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
I merged the various skylake discussions into one thread.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Q-1 2016 would be as good a guess as any. Apple will undoubtedly do what`s best for Apple, with that in mind If you are considering a new MacBook, also consider that it may upgrade to the Skyjack platform fairly quickly.

If your in for the long haul it may well be worth waiting, as the second generation will likely bring some improvement over and above computational performance (iGPU, TB3, 720p iSight). If the current MacBook wont "cut it" for your needs, like as not neither will Skylake, better to move on and buy something more suitable.

Personally I am looking to buy the new Macbook, should I decide it`s the best tool for the job. If so I will upgrade the MacBook on the next revision.

Q-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.