Skype 2.0 beta test finished--2.0.0.6 released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bousozoku, Oct 23, 2006.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The application has gone gold and supposedly everything works, too.

The last beta release was 2.0.0.3, so I expect more improvements have been made to CPU usage.

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

3. dcv macrumors G3

I'll have to download this and try it out. I hope they've eliminated the 'sleigh-bells' noises!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sounds like such a nice app...if only any of my friends with webcams had Skype. :(

5. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

It takes a while for people to warm up to it. I suppose everyone wants to stick with something known and compatible rather than something that doesn't suffer from old problems.

I don't even care that much about the video right now. Text chat would be welcome over Skype. Of course, it wouldn't be so great, if it weren't for audio and now video chats.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure I've read that they have. I think the Macbooks/iMac's with Cam's will really grow the number of people with webcams built in. Especially as PC manufacturers will copy, it's all good.

7. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I've converted from msn to skype 100%, and slowly have my friends moving to it too, it's a brilliant app. I even use skype out, video, audio, etc. fantastic.

off to d/l the final 2.0

8. russellc macrumors newbie

the last beta version caused some strange crashes on me during video calls. hope theyve fixed that.

9. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

There have been a lot complaints with the "gold" version.

Apparently they did a "quick fix" for the app to support older computers. (ie. they reduced the video quality.) I don't notice, since I only have an Icecam, but people with iSights seem to notice that the vid quality is inferior to the beta version. Hoping they'll add the option of slow/fast computer or something.

imo. iChat works better for video chats, but Skype is way better than MSN. Currently trying to convert my friends to Skype.

10. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I've already noticed the degraded video quality in the preview window. Perhaps, they'll eventually put a slider on it and let us choose for ourselves the way Yahoo! Messenger lets us.

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    hmmmm

if the video quality has gone down, why would I want this?

Skype is amazing, I like it much better than AIM, or anything else. Never have any problems connecting to people on windows, (unlike AIM)

my question is...

Friends told me that Skype will cease being free in 2007....can anyone confirm this?

if so, that would be a big Ol' shame....

12. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I haven't heard anything from anyone saying that it will cost anything to talk computer to computer. It sounds like the way people talk about iTunes.

As far as video quality goes, did you try the video earlier? If not, how will you know?

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think they were talking about the Skype program featuring free calling from computers to telephones in North America... I think that *was* originally announced as only good through the end of 2006.

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Ya that's what I'm saying...I don't really care about calling Cpu to Cpu, but calling my parents all the way across the country, without using any cell minutes or long distance charges is SO GREAT ! and if that free feature went away after new years, I'll be :(

I tried the video many many times in the earlier version. And it is as good or better than using AIM/iChat going Mac to PC. I have zero buddies on OS X.