Skype Alternatives??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JW8725, Jul 18, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Besides Skype is there anything else I can use as a telephony service? Is there a way i can make mac msn work with audio???

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

NOTHING compares to skype, why are you looking for an alternative?

4. beg_ne macrumors 6502

You could try Gizmo: http://gizmoproject.com/

I haven't tried it personally, but they are definately trying to be Skype. I really like skype, and my main contact would think its too much a pain to install another program on her poor windows pc so I probably won't get a chance to try it for a while.

5. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I tend to agree. While trying to find a telephony software I tried out quite a few and settled with Sykpe as soon as I found it. It's simple and works. And flawlessly works with other platforms.

6. witness macrumors 6502

I have to agree too, there is nothing better than skype at the moment, and it will soon have video.

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

8. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Thumbs up for gizmo

Gizmo is definitely worth considering. I have just set it up so that I can online games and communicate by voice to my other teammates. It works cross platform as well. Mac - Mac, Mac - PC etc. no linux yet though.

Not much bandwidth is used during a conference as you are using their servers. Another great thing is you can have an UNLIMITED number of people in the conference. Audio quality is same as or better than skype. Give it a go!!

aussie_geek