Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ct95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Is it just me but does Skype cause incredible battery drain when in use. I'm not talking about in standby. I use it just to text chat (no voice) and I get about 2-2.5 hrs of usage on an iPod touch 4G. It is just ridiculous.

We're supposed to get 6 hrs of video. How can skype use so much power??

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
Is it just me but does Skype cause incredible battery drain when in use. I'm not talking about in standby. I use it just to text chat (no voice) and I get about 2-2.5 hrs of usage on an iPod touch 4G. It is just ridiculous.

We're supposed to get 6 hrs of video. How can skype use so much power??

1) The app is not a video.
2) This is a third party app, not an Apple app. As such, it will not work seamlessly on an Apple platform.
3) There has been no update to the app to make it work with iOS 4.0. This is Skype's fault, not Apple's.

ct95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
1) The app is not a video.
2) This is a third party app, not an Apple app. As such, it will not work seamlessly on an Apple platform.
3) There has been no update to the app to make it work with iOS 4.0. This is Skype's fault, not Apple's.

I'm not asking about whose fault it is. I'm asking is this normal for Skype on a touch. As far as battery drain, the reason for the comparison to video is that I believe video should be more taxing on battery life than transmission of text. Something is wrong either with Skype or with my touch.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
The Skype app does have iOS4 support for multitasking in the background. I have no idea what the previous poster is asserting with it not having any support for the latest iOS. It does. It says so in the App Store.

Running Skype in the background might drain the battery since it requires a constant connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.