Skype as modem or modem emulator?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacPhreak, Feb 10, 2007.

1. MacPhreak macrumors regular

Is there any sort of "bridge" software that allows a terminal emulation program, say, Z-Term, to use Skype as a modem? It seems silly to pay for connections to BBS's when I've got SkypeOut, but I haven't been able to find a way to do this.

Maybe someone here knows a solution?

Thanks!

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Voice over IP in generally doesn't like data. There are a couple of ways of getting fax over it recently, but I haven't seen anything modem-wise. I'm pretty sure Skype's proprietary protocol wouldn't support it either.

3. MacPhreak thread starter macrumors regular

Well, since FAX machines use modems, then I'll hold out hope. I wasn't 100% sure, but I wikipedia'd FAX machines, and they do indeed use modems, using the same V.34, V.27, etc, protocols that computer modems use. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to trick Skype to handing off the connection as soon as it's dialed. Unfortunatley, I dropped computer science in favor of geology, so it's got to be someone else.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are still BBSes that don't have internet or VPN gateways in existence? :eek:

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Modem+over+VOIP

My bet is that Skype won't change to an uncompressed CODEC because it'll bog their servers down. That's one of the issues of using a proprietary service- you can't change and nobody but the service provider can innovate.

6. MacPhreak thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, quite a few. And some companies don't allow access to their internal network over the 'net, only via modem.

For me, though, it's more of a hobby. A quick trip back to a simpler, more diverse, and more interesting, time. The number of dial-up BBS's are dying off, but there are still a few around.

Well, I hope someone figure it out. Or I just need to get an unlimited long distance plan...

7. jeffremus macrumors newbie

Skype has a modem app but they charge. Other companies will sell business men monthly fax programs that use a modem some where. That modem is most likely on of the old modems we used to dial into for AOL years ago.

On the menu bay select.

tools
    extras
    get extras

Also see www.sourcefordge.com but good luck. This is a souce for ones who know how to program.