Skype audio issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sesshi, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Is anyone using Skype successfully with external soundcards? I've been speeding up moving wholesale to the Mac recently and have started to use Skype on the Mac. It's not very smooth sailing as no audio IO seems to take place for the selected devices in Skype when you plug in external soundcards. So for example if you set the external card for playback and the built-in mic for record, neither seems to work in Skype.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It depends on what you mean but I've been using a USB headset and that bypasses the internal audio processing and Skype works quite well with it.

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I've set the output to my soundcard, and the input to the internal Mic. Neither works when set up this way. I'll find a Mic to hook up to the soundcard and see how that works.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That might work better. The soundcard's drivers may have usurped control from the internal parts.

5. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

OK, so that's fixed. The other problem is that the person at the other end gets an echo of their voice along with mine. I presume this is due to the Mic picking up the sound from the speaker. How do I avoid this without going to a headset?

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus