Skype "Camera is in Use By Another Application" SL

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by SHADO, Nov 3, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

SHADO

So I had Skype in Leopard and it worked fine. However, ever since upgrading to SL, whenever I try to launch a video chat or go to the video prefs in Skype, it says the camera is in use by another application. I have the latest version of Skype installed, and I have uninstalled and re-installed it several times. I have repaired permissions and still nothing works. I have quit every application and launched it and it still says this. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. macrumors regular

Did you restart your computer :rolleyes:? Maybe a widget it's using the camera? check the activity monitor :p

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea I restarted and I checked the activity monitor and widgets, but it still comes up with that message. My friend has the same problem on his brand new (as of today) MBP where the camera does not work in Skype.

4. macrumors regular

Have you tried other applications and see if it works? Photo Booth or something

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea I did and it does work in Photo Booth and iChat. It seems to be a problem with Skype itself.

6. macrumors newbie

macsrule25

try unplugging it before starting it. then replug it into a different USB port.

7. macrumors P6

Peace

How does one unplug the camera in a Macbook ?

8. macrumors regular

im actually on skype (video chatting) right now in Snow Leo.... so i know it works! Do you have ANY other apps running that my be using your camera? Is your camera light on?

9. macrumors newbie

Similar problem - more info

I have the same problem on the same machine (13" MBP) - iChat video works but Skype video gives me the same message (camera in use). I have done all the things Shado has done - reloaded Skype, tossed the preferences. I have successfully skype video'd with my friend who has Snow Leopard on a 24" iMac (I see my friend but of course my friend does not see me). Any help is appreciated.

10. macrumors newbie

Well 15 minutes later with the help of Google I found a reference that refers to "setting" up the audio and video in Skype. Turns out (duh!) that I have my MBP connected to the Apple 24" monitor with its own built-in iSight and I had to specify that I was using the "Display iSight" as opposed to the "Built-in iSight". Sorry for clogging up the thread.

11. macrumors newbie

Hi Folks. I found a solution that worked for me:

Close Skype
    go to /Library/QuickTime/
    DELETE this file: CamCamX5.component
    Open and login skype ;-)

Please give credit to our french brothers:
    http://forum.mac4ever.com/post607938.html#p607938

:)

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Thanks for the suggestion man but I don't have that file in my Library/Quicktime folder. I only have AC3MovieImport.component and Perian.component.

Edit: Fixed it. I started up Quicktime X and recorded a short video using the iSight camera. Then when I opened Skype, the video camera worked fine. Hope this helps people.

13. macrumors newbie

I suddenly started getting the same Skype "Camera is in Use By Another Application" error after uploadeding a whole bunch of QT codecs to the /library yesterday.

CamCamX5.component must have been one in the pack. After deleting it everything works

Thanks LouZerpa and http://forum.mac4ever.com/post607938.html#p607938

14. thread starter macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Nice. I don't have the CamCamX5.component in my Library so I can't remove that. So every time I want to video chat with someone I have to record a short video in Quicktime X and then it works. Pretty annoying but o well.

15. macrumors newbie

Make sure you do not go to your 'user'/Library..., start from your harddrive (often Macintosh HD) /Library/QuickTime ... you will find it there if it exists. Worked for me!

16. macrumors newbie

It worked for me.

I've been trying to solve this problem for a very long time and finally today, ten months after your original post, Google sent me to this forum. So ten months after the fact, thanks for the answer that solved my problem.

17. macrumors member

xsimsimx

try reinstalling skype

18. macrumors member

If you have oovoo that is a problem you need to close the program, oovoo takes control of you video camera and will not let you use it..

19. macrumors 6502

somebodys watching you... duh duh duh

20. macrumors newbie

blame google

For me the googletalk plugin was the issue.
    I quit the process from the activity monitor, it crashed firefox where gmail was open, but the camera was available again.

21. macrumors newbie

Tried it all

Don't have CamCamX5.component. Tried deleting everything in /Library/QuickTime. Tried recording a video in QuickTime. Skype still is saying my iSight Camera is in use by another application. Anymore ideas?

22. macrumors newbie

now Quick Time crashes!

Same problem: don't have that CamCamX5 component and recording a video with Quick Time is impossible because it crashes as soon as I try recording. Camera works fine in Photo Booth and iChat though!
    Any new ideas?

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Mine kinda randomly started working again a while ago after I updated OSX and there was a Skype update issued. I have no idea what caused it to start working tho.

24. macrumors newbie

退出 (You have to CLOSE SKYPE)
    1. 進入左上 [finder] (left corner to enter)
    img> http://www.u-file.net/f-uqi7898

2.按 Command+ F ( select: OTHER )
    img> http://www.u-file.net/f-crl7881

3. 眼睛仔細找並打勾 [系統檔案]; 按[好] 退出 (search and select: SYSTEM
    img> http://www.u-file.net/f-bjz6481

4. 照這樣選 [包含]; 後打入 [CamCamX5.component] 就可以找到[它] 刪除了!
    (Select SYSTEM & INCLUDE; type in "CamCamX5.component;" now you'll see it, delete it, Skype Video works !! )
    img> http://www.u-file.net/f-gjg6130