Skype For Mac Video Preview (Beta 2.0.0.2)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JDN, Sep 13, 2006.

1. JDN macrumors 6502a

I downloaded this BETA a couple of days after much much hassle trying to find it. (I swear i couldnt get to it just by using the normal navigation on the website). I know its still BETA so i wasnt expecting alot, and truth be told it isnt *that* bad, but it keeps randomly shutting down and then i get a message saying no other OS X bits were harmed and have to re-open it.

Has anyone else tried using this? Does anyone have the same issues? Is there a newer version of the BETA out?

2. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

3. redpixel macrumors newbie

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/macosx/videopreview.html perhaps.

I don't know where you got that version from though, mine is the same as on the page (1.5.0.77). I've had some problems with it and it occasionally crashes or hangs up the call. The webcam also stops working in the middle of a call from time to time, I'm not sure if it's because of the macam (webcam-osx) drivers or Skype.

My main problem is that it runs SLOW! When video-chatting on my iBook 1.33 GHz everything else slows to a crawl (literally) and Skype uses 100% CPU :(

If anybody knows of any setting to tweak performance it would be great.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

5. satans_banjo macrumors regular

I just hope the next iChat supports video chat on the MSN network

6. JDN thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't find where i downloaded it from. All i remember is i didnt get there from the skype website. Ill see if i can find it in my history when im back on my home computer. It sounds like it functions better than beta 1.5 but not much more. It doesnt seem to play so hard on the CPU but it takes its toll on your RAM.

Anyone heard any rumors as to when it will be finished? Ive been using it to call people on PC's and it works fine. Would just be nice if the audio and video worked together better. Sound quality does drop when you start using webcams.

If iChat ever supports interfacing with MSN then they will most probably just make everything compatible. But its a big 'IF'.