Skype headset for Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kikedeolivos, Jun 4, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Hi,

I have an October 2008 white Macbook, which has audio and headphones 3.5 mm females. I would like to know if buying a cheapo headset (with mic) with the 2 x 3.5 miniplugs would work for Skype phone calls or I would rather get a USB headset?

Thanks

2. macrumors regular

If you have the separate in/out audio jacks that will work fine, as will the usb headset.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Yes I do.

So., lets say I get a regular analog headset, Mac OSX - via System Prefs/Audio-will recognize that an "external" mic has been plugged in?

What about a Plantronics Bluetooth (Mono) headset?

Thanks

4. macrumors regular

I don't see why it wouldn't.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Mic clarity and audio (for a phone conversation) would be the same as in with a regular headset or should I be looking for certain features, Skype specific?

Thanks again.

6. macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

You need a USB headset. The audio input on Apple notebooks is a line level input, not a microphone input. The difference is that the former requires a stronger signal than a microphone input; you won't get any input if you try to use the built in microphone on one of those cheap headsets.

Why not just use a pair of headphones? You can set the audio output through the headphones and use the notebook's built in microphone.

7. thread starter macrumors member

You were right: it didn't work with a regular Senheiser headset.

I just can't do what you are suggesting:I have an XP partition (Cad soft and other Windows only soft) and have to review on my big screen drawings with some colleagues. I wish I could get something that would work fine, either in Mac OSX and XP.

8. macrumors 6502

spectre51

USB headset with mic?

9. thread starter macrumors member

That's the route to go, I guess.

Thanks

10. macrumors regular

Can't you use a Bluetooth headset like one for cell phones? I used to use mine on Bluetooth on my pc laptop years ago. Haven't tried it with mac yet.