Skype Headsets on Mac???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eddx, Jul 25, 2006.

1. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

So I am looking at headsets for skype and iChat. I will be buying 3 or 4 of the same one for various family members and myself. Looking at the Logitech Internet Headset Will it work on my MacBook Pro. I know I have audio in and audio out but I know there can be problems with mics coming direct and not through an amp (or something like that). I have looked around at similar designs for cheap (under £20 / $30) but nothing looks as good or small. I would love advice or recommendations. I know that USB is probably the better way to get quality but nothing out there seems to fit my low budget. Something that could be folded for travelling would also be great for me but just wondering mainly about the audio in on my macbook pro with the Logitech Internet Headset. Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions, cheers! :)

2. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

You are right, the line in doesn't work correctly with that type of headset.

On my Powerbook I just use regular headset, and use the built-in mic to talk to the other person. I think the MBPro also has a built-in mic, so it may be something you want to try.

3. eddx thread starter macrumors regular

eddx

True, I am currently using my iPod headphones and the internal mic but the quality of this isnt up to scratch. I want a dedicated headset for online chatting. Plus, I am buying more than one headset - for other people I need to chat too so I need to make the right buying decision.

Thanks for your advice though :)

4. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Yes, the Macbook Pro has a built-in mic you can use. From the Technical Specifications webpage:

5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Sure, no problem.

Looks like I was a bit late with the last post... :rolleyes:

6. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I use this headset and it works great with Skype. Also use it for TeamSpeak or Vent for any online gaming.

Logitech USB Headset 250

The quality of a USB audio connection is amazing, much better than analog. Not to mention there is no analog audio in for my iBook ;)

**Edit** Just read your post again and realized you need 4 of these. At $40 a pop, mine might not be the best idea. I think I got mine on sale at Best Buy for $30 but I'd have to dig out the reciept. Might be able to find a deal online somewhere.

Or just get one for yourself and make everyone else use the analog ones :D