Skype lag problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by goodtimes5, Jan 3, 2007.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I'm using Skype to video chat with a PC user. The incoming video feed is laggy and sometimes entirely freezes up. When the PC user turns off the webcam and we only speak on microphone, it's fine. Video turns on, death. So what could be up and how do I fix it?

2. moonislune macrumors regular

I occassionally get the video lag with skype. Make sure that any running programs are not eating up your upload bandwidth. On my cable connection, if I am trying to use skype video and share some files (e.g. torrent, file-sharing, etc) then my video and audio gets choppy. You also need to make sure that the ports are open on both yours and your friend's firewall. Here's a link
    http://support.skype.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=148

3. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

When I'm using Skype and watch my upload speed, it only runs at 50kb/s maximum. So I don't think bandwidth is an issue here. I was thinking that the PC user's laptop is too slow to send out a smooth video signal; could this be true?

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I have the same trouble with audio, as well as video. I don't know what causes it, but it usually happens when me or the other person is on a wireless internet connection. Weird.