Skype users rejoice!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by vniow, May 15, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I didn't see the difference here....what am I missing?

BTW, I also got SkypeOut credit a while back, did something change?

Still waiting for video

3. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Its free now, at least until 12/06. I was wondering why my credit didn't go down after I was talking to my mom the other day.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Is it really free?

Here's what it says on the SkypeOut page you sent me to:

It looks to me like SkypeOut calls are still charged. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to be free, I just don't see where it says that in this announcement.

5. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Ah, that's probably because you're in France, the deal is US and Canada only. :(

Here's what it says on my end:

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Maybe its cause you're not in US or Canada

EDIT: beaten T_T

7. Frozone macrumors 6502

Hm, I tried using the free service and it doesn't work for me. :confused:

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks for clearing it up :rolleyes:

It's too bad, actually, because all of my SkypeOut calls are made to the US to call my family back there. My billing info is all in the US as well. They must be checking out my IP address when I log in. Pesky Internet :cool:.

Enjoy your free calls :)

9. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yea, I just saw that, that is awesome because I talk to my parents back in the states for about 3 hours a week over Skype. Since it checks IP and I am in Denmark this isn't supposed to work for me but I have a nice little work around, VPN. Gotta love it, my home university in the states gives us all a VPN account to use to connect to the universities intranet. Now I can call the US for free from anywhere in the world.

10. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

This new promotion just coaxed me into trying skype for the first time and HOLY ****! This is gonna explode in popularity. Before you know it all of North America will be on Skype. Mark my words!

11. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

If it works for everyone else as well as its worked for me then you can bet on it. I gave it a trial run a few weeks ago because I was tired of having zero cell reception in my room (I had to either go outside or into the garage just to make a call) and an internet connection was all I had (no physical phone line) and I liked it so much that I bought an adapter for a cordless phone I had lying around so I could use that instead of crappy headphones. If only my internet connection didn't go down occasionally and the caller ID didn't show as 00001234, it would be a perfect system.

12. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

For people that did not have Skype Out alreayd, do we have buy the $10 Credit before we can do this, because so far I'm not able to use the service.

I need to agree to Terms And Conditions, but I see NO button anywhere where I can do this.
    This is so unintuitive, anybody have any suggestions. I have a Skype name, I just can't make calls. I'm trying to set up SkypeOut, but I can't do it without paying $10.:confused:

13. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

14. reh macrumors 6502a

I just installed Skype yesterday and created an account (part of the install process). When I heard about the free calls today, I added my mom's phone number to my contact list and doubleclicked it to call her. Easy peasy.

15. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Still not working for me

I wonder wtf am i doing wrong.

16. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I'm curious as to how you get Skype traffic to go through your VPN. Isn't the only traffic going through the VPN the data sent/received to your school's intranet, not other web traffic?

Just curious, I have a VPN connection to the university I work at and I'm pretty sure that's how it works for me. I've wondered how to get everything through it...

cpjakes

17. daz087 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem - I'd really like to try this out, but I don't want to have to pay $10 to do it. Has anyone found out what you're supposed to do?

18. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

so I'm confused... when I dial a number, since I live in 925 area code, do I do +925xxxxxxx and set that as the number I want to call? cause I tried it with my dad's cell phone and it certainly didn't work... but maybe cellphones are different. Actually just tried with my home number and that didn'[t work either... it says "Failed, no skype out"

edit: got it, needed the 1 in front too

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Wow... you sound just like me... what adapter are you using? That's one thing I've been wanting to get... unfortunately for me they don't have any numbers in my area code yet... otherwise I'd be all over this.

20. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

This is driving me nuts. I'm usually pretty good at these things, but I'm stuck. I'm about to give up, but this is something I wanted to try out for a long time.

Skype sucks as far as I know. It should not be this hard.:mad:

21. reh macrumors 6502a

I didn't pay anything. I didn't sign up for anything (other than a standard skype account during setup). I just installed it and dialed a number. Called both myself and my mom to try it out. I also talked to my gf, but that was just computer to computer. I've been pretty impressed so far.

22. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Yeah, I guess it is not meant to be for me, I've tried from 1 iMac, 1 Powerbook, 1 PC. same thing = Failed. No SkypeOut. Nothing special to it, right? It just does not work for me.

23. daz087 macrumors newbie

That is strange... I've done exactly what you describe, but when I try to call someone, it says "Failed: No SkypeOut" I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be working... what version of Skype are you using?

24. reh macrumors 6502a

The latest version (1.4.0.35). Are you putting in the number properly?
    +1XXXYYYZZZZ

25. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I also can't get it to work. I signed up for everything but it says SkypeOut isn't active. When I go to the accounts page, it says to purchase credits to activate SkypeOut.

How did you guys get it to do this without having to buy credits? And yes I'm in Canada.