Skype v. iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by numbersyx, Nov 20, 2006.

1. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Hi Guys, about to return to the Mac after a decade of using the other OS. I have used Skype on XP and am curious as to whether iChat actually works better when using video.

Any thoughts?

2. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

I can't get iChat to work with my system (for video). So I use Skype...

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

In the latest version of skype, they crippled the video resolution for G4s :mad:.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Now that Skype 2.0 is out for Mac and PC, I'd have to say that the video quality is quite good. One of these years, I should iChat with my one brother who has a new Mac and good bandwidth to see if the iChat quality is better, but the quality with my PC-owning brother and 3.5-year-old iMac-owning parents is comparable (Skype vs iChat).

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ichavt can only work with aim5.9 on pc, and now aim is upgrading.....
    skype is easier

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

iChat has never been all that stable for video but the quality of the image is great. I've had to restart the conversation a few times during a single chat. Skype has never done that but, as has been said, the quality isn't all there right now. I'm confident that they'll work it out but it might be a while.

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Mac to Mac, iChat is king IMO

but for Mac to PC Skype is the winner.

Overall I like Skype better.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I just rely on iChat because all my friends have Macs that I want to video chat with.

9. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I like the way iChat makes conversations possible without headphones. Obviously if you build laptops with the microphone next to the speaker, your software can take this into account. (sound only comes out of the other speaker)

Skype always results in feedback for me - someone has to reach for headphones.

10. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

They seem rather young to be parents...

11. numbersyx thread starter macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Sounds like the video is better in iChat but Skype is more stable. Good to know as I've persuaded another couple of friends to join me in my march back to the Mac.....

12. connorhays macrumors member

13. aholden12592 macrumors regular

iChat doesn't work on my mac so i use adium for aim and skype for the only two people i know who have a skype account.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

How is it that iChat doesn't work?

15. aholden12592 macrumors regular

whenever i open iChat my account disconnects and it says the connection to the host was unexpectedly lost

16. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

system prefs>sharing>Firewall on?>is the box for iChat AV checked off ? it should be....

17. aholden12592 macrumors regular

there was only an option for iChat Bonjour. I checked it and pressed start in firewall and it didn't change anything.

18. stevendyhuang macrumors newbie

I'm a holy Mac user too. Have been support Apple since I have my first computer in late 70's till now. Never save in my life have bought a PC. Unfortunately, I find that iChat is too isolated like some one in an Island without the convenience to get to know the people in the world like Skype.
    To be frank, I quite like the background effect in iChat but it not as Universal as Skype.
    Either if I can use Skype account in iChat or using iChat in Skype, it would be even better! Can it work this way? If yes, please let me know cause I really wanted to use my iChat functions.

19. stevendyhuang macrumors newbie

Do you mean that your Skype account can be use in iChat?
    Please teach me what to do... Please.... :eek:

20. skemmuni macrumors newbie

I have a skype account for my PC running XP. All kinda spam users are trying to add me to there contact lists. Sucks! Said that, I think Skype is awsome for my PC. I have a skype phone wirelessly connected to the PC - and that's the best part!

But there is a better solution, you can get a Skype phone which is directly connected to the router wirelessly. No PC no nothing :D

I have not skype on my mac. And don't want to!

21. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

iChat with a googletalk account. Works flawlessly.