skype????

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xwk88, Aug 4, 2005.

1. xwk88 macrumors regular

does skype need to get any ports forwarded or does it work fine with out that because I've heard it is supposed to be phone quality voice conversation but mine is kind of crappy so if you guys know what ports I should forward. thanks on any help. by the way I know it's not my internet connection I have like the fastest net connection available on my area it's cable and it should be able to give at least good skype connection and if I turn any thing else that takes up bandwidth then i hear ever other word if I'm luky.

2. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I use skype all the time, to talk to family down in Florida. It sounds like we are in the same room.

We love it, and best of all, It's Free.

I just use the built in mic on my Powerbook, and put a pair of headphones on to hear them, and everything sounds crystal clear!.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't know what's wrong with your connection, but to answer your question: No, Skype does not require you to forward any ports.

4. rccola70 macrumors regular

Ya, forwarding ports doesn't increase call quality or connection quality for skype.

5. Kilchzimmer macrumors newbie

Kilchzimmer

check number of Skypers online...

I've seen a noticable degrading of quality and voice delay when a larger number of Skyers are logged on. This stat is shown on the Skype screen. Avoiding these peak times will help. Sounds like Skype needs to upgrade their systems to handle the large growth in registered users. ...hope they don't make the mistake of AOL. :mad:

I use my PB with Skype but have avoided using the built-in mic because it picks up the fan noise.

I've been plugging a mic through my imic (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/) and quality has been great for the person at the other end.

I use Skype regularly with my work and have called to all corners of the globe (literally). computer-to-computer and computer-to-phone.

- Tim