Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
When will the mac version get to 2.0 and support Video? The big selling point of Skype is cross-platformness and that is currently lacking

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The version 2.0 beta should be available within a month or so since they just finished the 1.4 beta and the Windows version 2.0 beta.

I expect that they'll move quickly on it.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
bigandy said:

That's for the 10-way conference calling features. Non-Intel Core Duo Macs will still support up to 5-way conferences (depending on system requirements of course). It's the same thing on Windows. Skype and Intel made a deal to lockout non Intel processors for the 10-way conference calling feature. That includes AMD. Annoying, yes, but certainly not enough for me to really care.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
A 10-way conference call sounds very stressful.:eek: Can't imagine I'd ever have a reason to use it.

I use Skype for most of what I used to use my landline telephone for, and am really pleased with it. Looking forward to the video support.

images

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
What amazes me about Skype compared to iChat is it seemed to virtually require a headset. I tried talking to someone over two computers with speakers and microphones and the echos were so prominant as to sound like wavelike interference. Never had that problem on iChat.

On the other hand, with headphones on, it sounded Skype sounded crystal clear.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I've used the built-in mic and speakers on my PB for Skype without any problems - maybe it's a matter of find the right balance of volume. But I do agree that the sound with a headset is better. When I use my Logitech USB headset, it sounds like the person with whom I'm talking is in the next room - the sound is even better than a landline.

images

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.