Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by silentthunder77, Feb 24, 2006.

1. silentthunder77 macrumors member

yo yo

hey i was looking for a program to call people from my computer to their land-line. Does anyone know of a good application for this? I found out about skype, but thats seems kinda european to me. if anyone can direct me to a good site, i'd appreaciate it.

thanks

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Skype is based in Europe. However it now allows you to buy credit (for calling land-lines) in a number of different currencies (used to be available in Euro only).

I use it regularly, but perhaps that's because I'm 'kinda European'. :)

3. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I use Skype and I love it. Far cheaper than a landline because you pay for exactly what you use, and the service has been excellent.

When I'm not at home, the call routes to my cellphone. What's great about this feature is someone can call me from outside the U.S., and I pay only for a local call vs. the gouging I'd get if the person called my cellphone directly.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

How is Skype "European"? :p ;) Sure, I realize the creators are form Europe, but still... ;)

It's a great app and I've used it a lot - no complaints. I think it's your best bet. :cool:

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

yo yo,

Use Skype - it's da bomb

peace out.

That is completely not like me, but I couldn't help myself

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Word to your mutha, brutha... :cool:

7. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

If you want to do a computer-landline call why would you not want to use skype?? :confused: ?? It's sound quality is better than telephone (if you do have a good headset) and probably the best program of its kind.

8. Project macrumors 68020

Skype on the Mac is beautiful. It just needs to become widespread on mobile phones....

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Another vote for Skype. The company is based in Europe, but they support US users just great. Remember that all those Mac users in Europe buy their computers from a kinda American company.

If you're really set on an alternative, you could try Gizmo. Can't honestly say I know where they're based, but then again, I didn't realize Skype was European until after I started using it.