Slate predicts death for recordable DVDs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by funkywhat2, Feb 2, 2003.

1. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 14, 2002

Slate says that recordable DVDs will be dead in a few years. Replaced by 802.11a.

But then again, they also say that few PC's have Floppy Drives anymore, so I don't know who to beleve.
  2. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    802.11a is what's going to be dead in a few years. absolutely nobody is embracing it. Boingo, the wifi organization, at&t and others all all dumping tons of money into "b" and "g". "a" isn't compatible with anything.

I wouldn't believe a word of it. If that person knew what they were talking about, they'd be working for c|net of ZDNet instead of a celebrity gossip column.

3. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    I doubt a wireless protocol will take over recordable DVDs, I mean people want hard copies of these things, to take them to a friends house to watch a video etc.
  4. Ziggyzee macrumors member

Dec 26, 2002
    Yeah, right. The 1.44 floppy hung around for 20 years but the recordable dvd will be dead in two! It is still in its infancy.
  5. daniel77 macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2002
    seattle, wa
    right now its death is coming close

altho until they get the sleection of dvd media down to like 2 people are not going to embarce the technology. know why people like cd burning? only 4 types :D

big cd, mini cd r/rw