sleaze appeal

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Sep 17, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am a volunteer social worker and i have worked with prostitutes, junkies, and drug dealers and as expected, even when i try and help i get lied to...but that goes with the territory

but heck, try dealing with real estate agents

i have never met a sleazier lot of people full of lies and deceit

being a minority, i am treated like dirt by them until they realize that i have property, or my family does, or that i have a friend who is looking to buy...and now i am working with some agents on a rental house (they are property managers they say for ten percent) and then they tell me i am not doing enough as a homeowner on my part so i neeed to make improvements now...i do and then they tell me i am spending too much time on the property and that i should not use contractors because they scare the tennant

and then when a tennant is ready to move in, they forget about my account and move the person in 12 days late and then say it's not their problem...the lady tennant is mentally ill, but they told me she was just fine a day ago

i personally meet their agents and they are convicts in cheap business suits and it bugs them that i can see through their street smarts

they "acquire" nice cars for their agents and then get snazzy college stickers on the back as to appear educated...i have two degrees that i earned and i respect education, not some convict yuppie wannabes who get their education as a window sticker that some agent buys at the posh college bookstores

i have even met child molesters encarcerated who was forced into rehab, a hitman who gave up the "life", and even a serial killer, and they never lied or put on such a fake face as these agents...and i have been dealing with real estate agents for 14 years in one way or another...i will take wokring with the underworld of the drug culture before i have to deal with another agent

i am sick to death of them

rant over:p

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Wow! It sounds like you have had a miserable time with them! Yuck, sorry to hear it!

I have never been impressed with property management people, but none that I have met have been as bad as you described! I hope you can find a better company to deal with! Sorry to hear it!

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

thanks for the sentiment...i am nearly 40 and i have a whole life full of bad experiences with them

no other group or field of people has turned out that way with me

then one day, i get this supposed "good, honest, experienced" agent who is supposed to help me sell my grandmother's house...and then when i am not there, he hits on my wife!!:rolleyes:

ps- sorry if any one of you macrumors members are real estate agents and happen to be honest...god, i wish i met you instead of the lot i have usually seen in my experiences:p

let's say the next ten preseidents all get blowjobs and then get impeached and still are womanizers...how would one then feel about the office of the presidency? OR let's say for the next ten terms, different presidents all break into opponet's political offices and steal documents, and then deny it...whew, that would be weird and if either of those happened it would be hard for me to trust again...it's very hard for me to trust any agent now

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They're just better dressed car salesmen... :(

But the pressure they put on brokers, appraisers, home inspectors, clients, etc. to perpetuate the lies along with them... :rolleyes:

Of course they probably weren't good enough to be stockbrokers.

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

my grandmother just sold her house, and now she feels like she was lied to by the real estate agent... well he did lie.

wouldn't they get alot futher in life if they were just honest and well meaning, with being a walkover? you'd think so...

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

yes, i have been lied to by both, but they made honest mistakes imho, and were apologetic and realized that they may have to be honest to get future business from me or my friends

but with real estate, due to the fact that i will never see that agent again or do business with their firm (since they open and close all the time) and due to the nature and scope of the rarely sold high ticket product, they feel free to lie all the time...it becomes an irreversible character fault (as long as they are in their commission only field) and they think others can't see it

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

wow and I thought lawyers got a bad rap!

Jef, your post was credible right up until the point you said "..I'm a minority..."

There is no need to bring one's minority status into every discussion, just as it is not relevant to discuss one's sexual orientation at will for no reason, just as it is innappropriate to give your political opinion at the dinner table.

8. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

:eek: Whoa, gives a whole new meaning to the Realtor commercials that they play down here. (While you are doing the things that you need to do, we are taking care of business...) And I thought car salesmen were bad! :rolleyes:

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

if i wanted to use my minority status for votes in the current california election, i would....he he;) :p

10. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Doesn't even matter in california...you can already 'vote' if you're an illegal [not to say you are]

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Did you catch this?
    "Hitting the number" is another word for fraud, lies, etc...

People are used to being upside down with their car loan, but when the system shoves them into a upside down home loan -- it could get ugly.

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the governor, loved and hated by many within his own party, made a very controversial decision in asking the lawmakers to allow illegal aliens to get driver's licenses...to control insurance rates

some say this is a good idea and makes financial sense while others say it may cause more illegal immigration in california

the more i have looked at these issues and as many sides as possible, the more confusing it is and with all the candidates running for governor, the eventual winner could have only 15 percent of the vote presiding over the 5th largest economy in the world (if california were a nation)

many in our state are very unhappy with the situation of illegal immigration, yet some want the cheap labor from the right wing lobbyists especially, and many on the left want to increase the rights of illegal immigrants...even to granting the right to vote

and before that, some say that NAFTA was an attempt to basically "annex" mexico and make work relations between canada, the usa, and mexico easier and full of less red tape and restrictions

PS - sorry arn and the mods, i think somehow i have, or some of us have, turned this into a thread that belongs now in the political thread section...just wanted to say this before democrats and republicans start flaming each other...this was not the intent of this thread at all..so you can move this thread or wasteland it:p

13. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm curious as to how someone could be "shoved" into an upside down home loan...fact of the matter is: this doesn't happen.

if someone wants to pay too much for a home or chooses to refi for more than the home's value...then they're to blame. if the bank chooses to facilitate the transaction...well, they've got a loose screw too. but remember---it all starts with the consumer.

as far as realtors go...there's good ones and bad ones...just like every other profession. there isn't a real estate transaction that can occur without multiple signatures...it's not like things just happen. ntm, there are very strict ethical/legal codes for realtors...and legal recourse for their violation.

if you have a legit beef, i suggest you contact a local r.e. attorney.

14. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i have never sued or been sued, thank god

most of what i have seen with realtors have been what an attorney would consider a minor annoyance...and a life full of minor annoyances from realtors can be a major headache, but it wasn't all one person...but it sure seemed like it...hey, i wonder what satan is doing these days? nah...he would be too honest for that field:p :p :p

15. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

You actually have some avenues to pursue. The BBB will really only be able to help you if the realtors gave you a bad deal, but the board a realtors might handle complaints. Where I am from a lot of realtors belong to this professional association of realtors. If the ones you are dealing with belong, you can air your complaints to them. At least you would get the satisfaction of causing your realtors grief. :) Well I would find satisfaction in that. :D

16. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

so many realtors i have met are so low on the food chain that it's not even worth the time to go after them

the next time they come around, i should either call pest control or the cdc...in my old house, i used to find them snooping in my yard and one said he wanted to buy my car and was just looking

"hey, we have another infestation of cheap suited lying bastards in the area":p

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Dude, that's not true and you've already been told that. Quit talking about stuff you don't understand and spreading FUD.

18. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences, but i don't think it's right to say that all real estate agents are scum and are out to just steal your money. if i said that all black people steal, or that all priests molest children, or that all jews are cheap, people would be offended. it's the same thing here. it's just like 3rdpath said, there are good ones, and there are bad ones.

my mom is a real estate agent, and honestly, she would be making a lot less money if she were someone like the agents you described. almost all of her clients are from referrals, meaning, people reccommend her to their friends because of a positive experience they've had with her. Surprisingly, there are good real estate agents who actually want to help you. There's nothing wrong with mentioning your bad experiences, but to go out and say that all agents are bad is not right.

it just kind of bothers me to hear mindless comments like these on these boards:

"They're just better dressed car salesmen..."

"Of course they probably weren't good enough to be stockbrokers."

"hey, we have another infestation of cheap suited lying bastards in the area"

19. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i never said ALL real estate agents are bad, but i would say that well over 90 percent of the ones i met are

if i had to leave my only son to a serial killer, child molester, or real estate agent, the real estate agent, from my experiences of 40 years of living, would put the real estate agent last

i have been a missionary in a war zone, my predecessor was killed by the SAS in belfast, northern ireland, and the street people i have dealt with have worse stories to tell me

the very field of selling large ticket items on commission draws some very unsavory characters to the field of real estate...i was in the CIA and worked for a pretty tough and twisted former marine officer and i have seen tough....but guess what, he was honest in a field where honest will get you killed...he had balls where it was needed

the real estate agents i have met in my life have tried every trick in the book...it may very well not be the people, but the field and the commission aspect of it

to be fair, i have had m-16s pointed at me, comrades shot, and some tortured, but i have never been a real estate agent so i can't say i know how it would make me act

but like i said before, after dealing with serial killers as a social worker for heroin addicts and the dealers who end up in the life, nothing scares me more than the cold dark stare of a real estate agent...it's like a great white shark...nothing there as far as compassion

just because a person carries a gun in the IRA or sells drugs in northern california because of peer pressure or a need to conform or have your throat slit, does not make that person bad right out of the starting gate

many real estate agents CHOOSE their field and have other options

if i met some good agents time and time again, with ethics, i would feel differently...and so would all of the many posters who make those comments that bug you...i am sure your mom is quite honest, but that does not change my experiences one bit

20. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i am not flaming anybody and i know society needs real estate agents

but i know no matter what, and if suddenly the field changes to a fair, lucrative salary structure and does not force people to work only on commission and make the field more honest as a result, it won't change my personal, negative experiences i have seen in my life in my area

i think, for example, multi level marketing, like amway, is a great idea...but i have had many negative experiences with amway distributors..and i know it could be the structure of the business, and not the people most of the time...but in the end, i generally steer clear of multi level marketers and that's my right

one of my employess is a minister with the jehovah witnesses and he is one of the most honest people i know...but i have had too many pushy, insincere "religionists" from their church invading my house and i have become shy of them, too as a group...when they want to come in and spend an hour, i usually let them down, but very nicely

i get real estate spam online as well as the occassional real estate agent at my door, and though i don't like most of them, i am also very courteous in letting them know i am not interested...it is easiest that way, and while i often get insulted by them to shame me into business, i do not return the favor of being mean

it's just in my one life on this planet, nothing makes me more mad and apprehensive than real estate agents

21. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

If you look at my post I put vote in quotations.

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Doesn't make it any truer.

23. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Nor would it make it any less true.

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, since your statement couldn't get any less true, I'll not argue that point.

25. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

:)

I don't know why we must bicker so much rower....perhaps we got off to the wrong start