Sleep deprived College Students.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Neserk, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../ap/20040418/ap_on_he_me/sleepless_students_1

Interesting. When I was in college I did a paper on college students and their non-enrolled peers. College Students are more likely to develop depression. This may be at least part of the reason why.

Although, if they want college students to get more sleep they need to get rid of noisey roomates (sophomore year -- hit the snooze no less than 12x a morning) and better soundproof the dorm rooms...

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i found that partying and just staying up late and procrastinating led to sleep deprivation

living in the dorms did not contribute to loss of sleep in my first year...it was my own actions ;)

i might have done better with more involved classes with more homework and more papers (there were none of those)...most of my classes were so easy and required so little that a party mood set in among fellow business majors and some other majors who had less rigorous academic work...i saw in the inside of the library less than ten hours in my first two years

of course i was a business major in a school not really known for business but the leisure time wasn't the case with engineering or pre med undergrads because they had considerably more homework and less social life

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yay!!

Another good thing to look forward to when I go to college!

4. macka macrumors regular

For some people, you don't even need to be in college to be sleep deprived.

The pressure of doing well in the final years of high school so that you can get into a decent university is unbelievable. Competition is intense and we're getting by on < 5 hours a sleep a night.

And to think that college was supposedly more relaxing than high school...doesn't look that way according to that article at least.

Give us a break, man! ;)

5. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

no, college is a lot more relaxed than high school. You'll find out when you get here. :cool:

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

that's the problem. always figuring there's plenty more time to do stuff. and never wanting to miss out on any of the fun stuff that goes on. but i seem to be functioning just fine on an average of 5 hrs/night :D :cool: :rolleyes:

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hmmm
    i would tell my roomate that snooze thing is bs unless hes really fast about it or work it down to a two snooze limit because more is really unecessary ... or if your like me punch the bunk a few times and get back t osleep ...
    i get around 6-8 hrs of sleep per night probably about the same or a little less than HS because i refuse to overacheive ...

8. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

It's good that they are able to sleep in a little bit more, but how many jobs are they going to get after graduating where they can just sleep in?

Doesn't seem to really prepare them well for the real world, but I guess they'll just have to learn to adjust.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That article was also in the Globe today. I think that is a good move. Sleep is very important for proper mental functioning. They also suggested taking an afternoon nap if your tired. :)

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have not gotten a solid night of sleep at college. Period.

If I go to be before 1 or 2 in the morning, inevitable my roommate and his noisy friends, drunk people pulling fire alarms, or something will wake me completely up so that I can't fall asleep again for a few hours.

I hate this dorm. I hate my roommate.

I'm living off campus next year.

11. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

You realize this issue was raised primarily by Duke? Hehe, as a Maryland undergrad, I ask that you focus on that and that fact only :)

I thought in high school i go little to know sleep (2am - 6:30am was the norm). Now in college, I think i'm becoming an old man as 3am to 8am would SEEM to be easier. But let me tell you, you should learn to hide your alarm clock somewhere hidden, and randomize it every night. Otherwise the snooze button is gonna be mashed in like mine is :)

12. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I definitely got less sleep in high school, even though I probably do more intense work in college, it's not the daily kind of grind as it is in high school. Especially if you took a lot of AP classes. I'd get so much more sleep this year had I not been living in a dorm..but what can you do.

13. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I think its still worth it. If you go to college, and don't even experience the dorm life--not even a year of it? Then I think you wasted or squandered a chance to experience something that's once in a life time. In the same way we look back on our childhood, I think I will definitely look back at my college life--and dorm life is gonna be one of the most memorable things in my life as an undergrad. Sure there's studying/classwork (especially hard if you're engineer), but you need to understand that its not JUST the books.

14. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

As an older college student trying it for a second time, when I do get sleep deprived, it is due to working and studying rather than parties and other activities. When I was in school the first time, my priorities were out of wack and hanging out with friends and partying were paramount. I learned quickly how foolish this decision was when they yanked my scholarships and kicked me out because I owed too much. 3 1/2 years, a couple thousand dollars and a whole lot of kicking myself in the butt later, I was able to get back in and I use the experience as motivation to excel in my studies.

One valuable lesson I learned is that books have loads of great information and are not meant as overpriced weights for your backpack.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I found it to be more than a statistical glitch that the later in the day I had a big test, the better I did on the test. I applaud the Blue Devils for making this change.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when i re-entered school as older student, i also loved my textbooks and for years after graduation, i kept them and then wifie made me thin stuff out so i tossed them or gave them away

i loved my psych book for personality types and my black's law dictionary

17. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Oh, it will be memorable, although for me not because of good times. I'm just tired of roommate woes and community bathrooms. Not that I didn't like living on campus, it was great to be so close to classes, but I'd never do it again.

18. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

hehe, of course. If we all had the same experience, why bother? But yes, I too suffered from shared bathroom, and the loud roommate. I'm in a single right now (so i can raise my GPA this semester), but I still talk to people in the hall and visit other dorms.

Next semester I'm going to a suite, which is 4 singles with a common kitchen/laundry room/lounge which is great. Best of both worlds :)

As I type in my room, I remember how i started out in a quad 1st semester. Then moved into the double sophmore year. And now the single. It makes me really value the difference (quietness mostly), and it definitely keeps me honest and prevents me from taking it for granted. (if I started in a single, would I value the single as much as i do now?).

19. Applexilef macrumors regular

I think that's the stupidest idea I've ever seen. I realize now that Duke is full of whiners, do they have nothing to think about once the basketball season is over? or is it the fact that they didn't make it to finals?...

When you tell students that they can wake up later, they don't spend it sleeping more, they just stay up longer into the night!

20. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

The difference is from some classes at 8 to alot of classes at 8:30. Does this really matter? Who cares?

BEN

21. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Exatally what I was thinkng.

haha.'

I'm already an insomniac anyway so... :rolleyes:

22. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Well if you're gonna stay up, mine as well do HW...of course, I've been up around 3am and I just end up chatting with hallmates/friends or whatever that are (actually) procrastinating like i am.

23. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

When I was in college I couldn't stand the idea of a 8:30 class. Now I working by 7:45 at the latest. Something happens to the body and brain between the ages of 18-22 and when real life starts that makes one able to function earlier in the day. And going to work and functioning and sitting in a lecture hall (no matter how good the professor) are two different things!