sleep indicator light stays on...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gjimmy, Aug 23, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2004
    my 15" PB 1.5ghz Sleep indicator light stays on sometimes when the machine is running. Also the ethernet cable, if moved around while plugged in, makes the sleep indicator light flicker.

I was told this might be a motherboard issue...could this be?

Any other suggestions.

p.s. the powerbook is only 3 weeks old.
  2. macrumors G4

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    I'd say it's highly likely that the source of the issue is a hardware problem somewhere on the motherboard, albeit a minor one that shouldn't stop your Mac from working normally. If it's only 3 weeks old, take it in to a nearby Apple Store and have them look at it. As long as you prove to them that you purchased it 3 weeks ago, they won't charge you for it.
  3. macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2005
    Strange, I just had my sleep light come on solid bright....

Brand new 15" powerbook
  4. macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2004
    I am having the same issue. Someone told me to reset the power management, which I attempted to no avail. My computer is over a year old, and thus is no longer covered by apple's warranty. An Apple Store just opened in my city, so I'm wondering if I can simply take my computer there to get it looked at, or will they charge me an arm and a leg to fix this?

someone on another board told me that the flickering indicator could be foreshadowing for a serious problem to come if i don't get it fixed. thoughts?
  5. Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    My PowerBook is 2 years old and has started doing that. It's a shame but as long as the machine works it's not too much of a problem...
  6. macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
  7. macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005

Obviously, as it's only three weeks old he won't need to prove anything as it will be a DDR2 model.

It might have lines on the screen though ;)

Seriously though gjimmy, take it to an Apple store and have it checked and if nothing too serious have it fixed there and then.

If it is a hardware problem like a motherboard fault, and provided you bought it from Apple and not a re-seller, demand a new Powerbook outright and don't take anything else as a satisfactory answer.
  8. macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Usually the genius bar will take a look at it and NOT charge you.
    I brought in my iBook G3 for MONTHS and they never charged me.
    I mean, they even did a fresh install, and put up with me for so long, that they really should have charged me for being such an idiot.

But they didn't! Muahaha!