sleep light acting weird

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBlue, Feb 17, 2006.

1. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

(first off this is a stock 17" iMac (pre-intel chip) G5 running 10.4.3)

i had my first ever complete freeze on a mac, i was looking at an avi file (figures, friggin windows media) and the computer gave me the beachball of death. no keyboard shortcut would quit the application and the force shutdown did not work either. i unplugged it.

well everything seemed fine but now the sleep light is not acting the same. i am of course very paranoid now because of my $3000 paperweight that is my one year old powerbook. :rolleyes: :mad: i am hoping this is not some sign of problems to come with my iMac. seems trivial but i am not real lucky, you know.

ok well instead of the usual pulsing sleep light, it just stays ON when the display is asleep. no pulse, just the LED stuck on. when i wake it the light goes off just fine.

when i use the menu to sleep it the light pulses but it doesn't "do it right". it goes faster [than it used to] and instead of just a pulse, it goes off completely per cycle. (instead of just bright to dim > bright to dim) so bight...dim...dimmer... off.....bright...dim...dimmer...off... repeat. it lost its smooth breathing appearance. :confused:

any ideas?

i zapped the PRAM and reset the PMU - i hesitated to try anything else without consulting the masters ;) - EDIT: oh yeah, i repaired permissions for the heck of it too.
    any other things i should try, or is this really nothing to worry about?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i just got my iMac G5, when the display sleeps itself, just the screen that is, the light is solid, i assumed so that you know know that its not fully asleep.
    but the sleeping light does pulse as normal on mine....

so thats one problem to not worry about?:eek:

3. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

might be nothing to worry about, dunno.
    i'm just baffled as to why mine acted one way and is now acting another. i'm used to them pulsing the sleep light no matter if the disk spun down into "real sleep" or if the display is sleeping. :confused:

4. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

This is the exact way the light should be atcing.

5. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

you sure? why would it suddenly change on me? this is not the way i've seen mac sleep lights acting. <shrugs>

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

run any updates recently? perhaps it had to do with one of them? i don't know, ive been on 10.4.5 on my iMac since i got it.

but i believe this is the way that the sleep light should be acting in regards to how it puts the display to sleep (or just off) and sleeps the whole thing.

7. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

no updates in the last couple weeks. i always hold back on the OS updates because sometimes they are buggy. (10.3.9 was horrible for me on that pain in the ass powerbook of mine)

8. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I have had two iMac G5's, and both the sleep lights work exactly as you posted above. The light stays solid when the display is off to signal to you that the computer is not asleep, and pulsates (completely turning off at the dimmest point) when the computer is actually asleep.

9. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

wow, that's weird mine acted differently before. i am glad to hear it's normal. thanks. :)

10. cam50626 macrumors member

is there any way to turn the light off? It really bugs me when I'm trying to sleep

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member