Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Lately I've noticed that my MacBook consumes a lot of power in sleep mode. I've also noticed that it sometimes turns itself on – after a couple of minutes – even when I've turned it into sleep mode (always using Alfred, if it matters). Like today, I went away from my Mac at 4 p.m. and turned it into sleep mode. The battery charge was then on 100 %. When I came home, four hours later, there was only 40 % power left.

Is something wrong?

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Maybe something is waking it up over the network? Do you have Wake On Lan checked in energy saver?

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Maybe something is waking it up over the network? Do you have Wake On Lan checked in energy saver?
Yes, I have. Should I turn it off? I actually don't quite understand what it means.

But it is only checked on power charge, not on the battery options. It's not even available while running on battery.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Sometime Wake Over LAN will cause the computer to come out of sleep...I know my Apple TV will wake up my iMac every now and then. If you want to leave it enabled, just set your computer to sleep after 15 minutes or so; that way it will at least go back to sleep if something wakes it.

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Sometime Wake Over LAN will cause the computer to come out of sleep...I know my Apple TV will wake up my iMac every now and then. If you want to leave it enabled, just set your computer to sleep after 15 minutes or so; that way it will at least go back to sleep if something wakes it.
The weird thing is that my MacBook automatically goes to sleep after 10 minutes but still, today, it went from 100 % power to 40 % after four hours in "sleep".

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The weird thing is that my MacBook automatically goes to sleep after 10 minutes but still, today, it went from 100 % power to 40 % after four hours in "sleep".

do you have power nap enabled when on battery? That will drain it much faster....especially if you get a lot of notifications.

NeonBible

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
do you have power nap enabled when on battery? That will drain it much faster....especially if you get a lot of notifications.
Yes, Power Nap is enabled while on battery. But today's scenario was without the charger connected so it seems totally strange for me.

Edit: While on charge.

Last edited:

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Yes, Power Nap is enabled while on battery. But today's scenario was without the charger connected so it seems totally strange for me.

if you've got powernap enabled with battery power that would drain the battery more...with the machine on battery power go to system prefs->energy saver and see if powernap is checked

motorazr

macrumors 6502
How about your time machine settings? I noticed that somehow mine got set to automatically backup again (vs. manually). . . and every hour it was gathering info to prep for a backup and then failing because I don't keep my external connected..?

Though the extra drain on sleep I was seeing wasn't quite as dramatic as yours. . . hmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.