sleep mode killing my internet connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by magicharm, May 17, 2005.

1. magicharm macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2004
    My new 12" powerbook has been having a weird problem with internet access - everytime it returns from sleep-mode Safari tells me that it can't find a connection. It's currently hooked up to a linxsys (sp?) booster to a cable modem, and it works fine as soon as it's powered up. In fact, even after it comes back after sleep-mode it still has at least 3 bars of signal, and yet it's not being recognized. Short-term it's not a really big problem, but this will start to get annoying after a while. I'm also one of those people that never really turns my computer off, so it goes to sleep-mode frequently. Any ideas on how to fix this are appreciated - I know you guys can always come up with something :)
  2. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2005
    Apple Script?

I don't have an easy solution for your problem, but I guess you could create (or have someone create) a workaround for it by using Apple Script so that whenever the Mac wakes up, it tries to disconnect and reconnect (or something similar). Until you find a proper solution, this might help. That beats trying to do something manually.

There doesn't seem to be anything in Automator to connect to or disconnect from the network.

I have to admit that I do not know Apple Script and cannot write this script (at least for the next few days). :)
  3. 40167 macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2004
    I would try disabling the dialup modem...

I used to have my iMac G3 doing that, then I disabled the dialup modem just to see if it might do anything and to my suprise after sleeping the machine, it now works fine.

Now of course I cant guarentee it's gonna help, as the iMac obviously has a wired connection; while your powerbook is wireless.
  4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    How long are we talking? I always get that if I don't wait a few seconds after wakeing.