Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybrarian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I am a brand new Mac user and I'm having problems with my PowerBook. When I leave work I close up my PB and bring it home in sleep mode. When I first got the computer and I did this all I needed to do was hit any key and it would wake up. Now though when I get home and hit a key all I get is a beep or sometimes nothing. I know it's running, I can hear it. I can't seem to get it to wake up. All you veterans out there may find this a silly question but I'm not quite sure how to get this to work. I've read a few books and can't find any solutions. The only thing I've been able to do is hold down the power button and shut the thing down and then power it back up. HELP! :confused:

steller

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2004
you might wanna try pressing the power button once. I have never experienced that though(hearing a beep sound when pressing a key). However, I know that sometimes pressing a key won't wake the laptop up. In that case, I normally press the power button and then it goes right on in a few seconds.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
I sometimes have a similar problem, usually when I've been using a mouse at work. If my PB does not wake up on open, or with a keystroke, I plug in the mouse and give it a click. That usually works for me.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Nothing to worry about. Try resetting your PMU and/or PRAM. That might solve the problem. But even if it does not, it's not uncommon to have this issue from time to time. My 17" PowerBook does this every now and again (usually when I'm using a Logitech mouse).

tamara6

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
Are you sure it is asleep? If you put the lid down on your powerbook and then pull out a usb mouse, the computer will wake up, and stay awake, even though the lid is down. When you open the lid up, the screen will be blank, and pressing keys will not wake it up (because it is already awake). Sometimes putting the lid back down, waiting for the sleep light to come on, and then lifting the lid up again will work.

So the thing to do is to pay attention to how you put your 'book to sleep. Unplug everything from it first, then put the lid down. The sleep light should come on. When you get home, just opening the lid should wake it back up again.

HTH,

Tamara

Cybrarian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
THANK YOU

You guys are great! It was the mouse. I plugged it in and clicked it and it woke right up. You're the best! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.