Sleep mode question...real simple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dvader, Mar 9, 2007.

1. dvader macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2007
    I did a search on sleep vs. shutdown and learned what I needed to about it. But now I wonder why people using Windows don't do the same thing?

On my Windows there's an option for Standby and Hibernate. Why don't PC users standby or hibernate their PCs like the way Mac users do?

Do Macs sleep much better than PCs?

Actually, does anyone know the difference between standby and hibernate?
  2. srf4real macrumors 68030

Jul 25, 2006
    paradise beach FL
    I believe it's about security, especially with a pc permanently connected to the inter-webs. Macs won't run windows malware so for now, it's ok for them to take a little nap without getting molested.:rolleyes:
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    also, i believe the Windows hibernate and standby aren't as instant as the OS X method of sleeping.
  4. heehee macrumors 68020

Jul 31, 2006
    Same country as Santa Claus
    I put my PC destop to sleep. I hardly shut it down.
  5. pjarvi macrumors 65816

Jan 11, 2006
    Round Lake, IL
    Personally I can't stand the pulsating LEDs. Occasionally, I will put my Macbook to sleep when I know that I will need to check something first thing in the morning. When I do that I put something in front of the LED to cover it up. It never blocks all of the light though, so most nights I just do a shutdown. I wish they would make an option to disable LEDs on all electronic devices.

As it is right now, I have little pieces of paper and cardboard folded over 9 devices to block all of their LEDs. Tomorrow I'm going out and getting some black electrical tape to cover some more.
  6. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006
  7. displaced macrumors 65816

Jun 23, 2003
    Gravesend, United Kingdom
    Allow me to quote one of my own Slashdot posts which should explain the difference between sleep on a Mac and on a PC:

8. e12a macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    because those small memory leaks will slowly and inevitably cause windows to slow down...that's why you need to shut down.

boot it up again from a shutdown and you're right as rain.
  9. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2007
    everytime i put my windows pc to sleep i couldn`t use half of he programms after waking it up o it just crashed so i guess the sleep mode for mac just works better
  10. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    Lol how bright is your LED? Or is it right in front of your face when you sleep? I never even notice mine!
  11. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    In my experience, putting any computer to 'sleep' is just like putting a baby to sleep. You are never sure what mood the little darling is going to wake up in.
  12. letaalio macrumors member

Nov 15, 2006
    The difference between sleeping and hibernating is that when a computer sleeps, it stores everything on the RAM, but when it is hibernated it stores everything on the HDD. Therefore waking up from hibernation takes a bit more time, because the computer has to read everything from the HDD.

It is considered safer and more energy-efficient to hibernate, because if you pull the power cord (battery in case of a laptop) whilst it is sleeping, stored data is lost almost instantly. It is more energy-efficient to hibernate simply because when a computer is hibernated everything inside it has been shut down, which is not the case in sleeping mode, when RAM is still powered. That is why your computer will drain the battery when you lug it around in sleep mode.
  13. displaced macrumors 65816

Jun 23, 2003
    Gravesend, United Kingdom
    True. However, unlike Windows, the difference between the two isn't something the Mac requires the user to care about in the slightest.

When the Mac sleeps, it also writes the content of RAM to the HD. However, it only falls back to resuming from that HD data (and the associated slow resume) if the power source runs out or AC power is lost. That's a much more logical approach. Windows gives you an either/or choice when you want to suspend your session - almost as if Windows thinks you should be able to see into the future to determine if power might be lost while the machine's asleep. OS X says "I'll go to sleep, and wake up as fast as I can."