Sleep Mode With ibook/When to use?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Patrick Bateman, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Patrick Bateman macrumors member

Sep 10, 2003
    My new ibook travels around alot with me and I'm wondering if I should just close it and put it to sleep or should I shut down when in it's carry case around town? Also, how much of a battery power usage difference is there with it in sleep? Thanks.
  2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    Sleep is fine

I have a TiBook Rev. B and I never shut it down. I sleep it all the time. On a new battery (mine is down to about an hour on full charge, but about two years old...) I only lost 2% overnight. Commuting will be even less. I even leave a bunch of programs open to save time. I only restart or shutdown for system updates with it. The response time from sleep to wake is so fast in OS X.x, when in OS 9 it would almost have been faster to startup and shutdown constantly.

I also switch between wireless and ethernet between home and work, and the network switching is pretty fast. I have it set to look for wireless first and then ethernet, so I don't even have to bother with location settings.

3. segundo macrumors member

Dec 9, 2003
    I never shutdown my iBook G3 800. It "sleeps" perfectly . . . it consistently wakes up and is ready to use in just seconds. Without question the best "sleep" implementation on any notebook I've ever had. Great battery life, almost instant wake up, no need to shut it down!