sleep, or should that be semi sleep, only screen off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by StokeLee, Jul 13, 2005.

1. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Ive got the new iMac g5, its in my bedroom,
    ive had it a month or two now,I shut it down each night when i go to bed, because, after trying it in sleep mode, i can hear it. Is this normal???? not sure if its the fans i can hear or the harddrive, but it makes that kinda noise,, is that normal,,,,,

anyway,, is there a way to black my screen out,(guess could make a black screen saver) but would like to turn the screen off, which would be better, so that i can keep my tunes on????
    and then set auto sleep for after im asleep?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

in system preferences set your screen to go off but not your HD

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

there's something wrong there, an iMac G5 when totally asleep (the light on the front is throbbing) is totally silent. The only thing that's on is the power supply (and a trickle of RAM voltage), and it doesn't have it's own fan. My guess is that your power supply isn't working right, is it a buzzing noise or a whirring noise?

4. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Oh no please dont say theres something wrong, , when i go to sleep tonight, ill have a listen and leave it on sleep,, and suffer in the heat cuz ill have to turn my other fan off, lol,,, I just hope ive got bat ears,,,

There was one other sound type problem,,,, and ive even contacted apple about it,,, when im listening to anything that puts out sound my internal speakers are fine, but then i put my eye tv on,, and sometimes(well quite a lot) my left speaker stops workings,,, it like makes a click/pop and then goes, and say for example, if mail recieves a new message, it pops back on with the received mail sound,,,,,, but,,, through the hedphone out to my amp, it never goes???
    a coincidence?

5. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Cheers,, ill try that bit too,,,

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Let me see if I got this right, you want it to sleep but also play iTunes?

7. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Id lke to turn the screen off when i play itunes, for example when i got to sleep,,,,, but after a certain time, then turn off, proper sleep....
    but ive noticed when i do set it too sleep, my imac still makes a noise, as described above

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Does it actually sleep or is the screensaver kicking in.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I guess what Im getting at is when the system sleeps do you see the powerlight blinking, that would indicate the system is in a full sleep and all noise should stop. If that is happening and you are still hearing fans then you have another problem altogether.

10. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

ok,, how do i put this, im a switcher *GASP*
    1) i want to play itunes for a while, untill im asleep, an hour or two,,, but when this is playing, i want my screen off.......... not just black, but off,, less power, etc, cooler,, longer life, etc, all tha jazz,,, a separate monito id just hit the off button, and then set my machine to go off after a set time,,,

2) when i have had my imac in sleep, it still makes a noise,, yes its in sleep, little blue apple, click sleep,,, the led flashes etc etc, it does all that it should but still can hear somat, a buzz, a vibration, somat, not sure what,,, id try it now, but im chatting on msn,,, so it be rude,,

11. JonMaker macrumors regular

Go to System Preferences.

Click on "Energy Saver".

It should be self-explanatory from there.

This should solve your problems. :)

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

This will solve his noise-during-full-sleep problem how exactly?

perhaps it's nothing, and you can just ignore it, but as i said, it's not normal behavior, and computer parts generally have to states: normal or problem. If it were my iMac, I'd be afraid of something frying out. That speaker issue is odd too, are you still under 90-day warranty? Did you get Applecare?

edit: just to avoid confusion, when he's talking about playing iTunes with the screen off, it's a separate question than why it makes noise during full sleep. The Mac can certainly be told to go into display sleep for an hour while iTunes plays, then go to full sleep, in the energy saver control panel.

13. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

yep rainman, two problems, spot on, the first with itunes, is i want my screen off,, and the second, no noise, lol

im going to try all solutions offered here,, and then come back with whats happened, thank you everyone for your time and effort in replying, much appreciated,,

Lee

14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well I know that if I want the screen on my powerbook off, I turn the brightness all the way down, and it turns off. I dont know if this works on an iMac.