sleep sleep and then won't wake up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jcslp15, Nov 7, 2006.

1. jcslp15 macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2006

I hope someone here has heard of this problem, but so far everyone I've talked to doesn't seem to have a clue.

So the problem started about two weeks ago,

one night i put my Powerbook G4 15" to sleep just like I always did by closing the top and then going to sleep. The odd part was that in the morning the powerbook refused to wake up. I hit all the keys and the power button and it still didn't wake up.

So I removed the battery and the power cord and the light for sleep was still left on. But finally after removing all the power sources and hitting the power button the light finally turned off.

Afterwards I put everything back together and it all seemed like a random event.

However, over the past two weeks my computer will go to sleep very often, even during the middle of my work. And then one out of every ten or so times it would not be possible to wake from sleep by hitting a key. Which then I had to go through the same process of taking the battery out.

Needless to say I don't think this can go on for much longer.

Therefore I reformated and reinstalled mac osx but still the symptoms persist. I even ran the extended hardware test three times but that turned up empty

*I don't know if it means anything but when I have to take out the battery to restart the computer the date and time reset to dec 31st 1969.

Any help would be apprecaited, since unfortunately I am three months out of warranty from apple.

- James
  2. jcslp15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2006
    sorry, i take back the part where no one has heard of this, apparently they have.

for some reason the search didn't come up with anything for me.

I apologize for the repost
  3. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2005
    i had it happen once, as an isolated event