Sleep vs. Shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmsdrummer, Oct 9, 2006.

1. rmsdrummer macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2006
    hello... i recently purchased my first Mac! I've always been a PC user and finally got sick all the viruses and error messages, so I sold my dell, shelled out a little cash, and got the following:

MB (white)
    2.0 ghz
    1gB Ram
    100g harddrive

so far, i'm loving every bit of it! no problems (though it does seem to run rather warm, but from i understand, this is normal for macbooks) other than like two or three times where an application "quit unexpectedly".

my question is this- i normally just shut the lid to let it sleep when i'm not using it (normally, the most i will go without using it is about 8 or 9 hours while i'm at work), even when i carry it somewhere, i'll just shut the lid and let it sleep... the manual says shut it down when i will go without it for a few days... so... am i ok by just letting it sleep everytime? or should i shut it down every once in a while?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I've always just slept my numerous Apple laptops, and I have never had a problem doing so. It eats up a tiny bit of battery, so don't sleep them for days, but I think it's better overall to sleep than to force a shutdown/reboot cyle.
  3. JAT macrumors 603

Dec 31, 2001
    Mpls, MN
    If you don't let it sit for a few days at a time, you may never need to shutdown. Just reboots for software upgrades.
  4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I always just let my laptop sleep. Just make sure you do the calibration every month so the battery can live a longer life. A cold boot is more harmful to the computer than just letting it sleep anyway. (from my knowledge)
  5. rmsdrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2006
  6. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Here you go.
  7. traysecook macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2013
    Shutdown and Sleep are Perfectly Even.

If you have done a lot on your computer that day, then shut it down. If you only did a couple things, then let it sleep. Shuting it down clears the system cache files, but letting it sleep spares the parts from the wear of shutdowns and reboots. You be the judge, because only you know what you do when you give your computer the hardest jobs that you give it. So with that said. Did you do a lot today, or just a few things? Shutdown and sleep are just options to help prolong your computers life by either clearing the system cache files and so on, or sparing the parts from a system shutdown and reboot.
  8. vandoorn macrumors regular

May 31, 2011
    I always let the Macbook go to sleep. It's faster to wake up and it only takes a little bit of battery power. The only reason i do restarts is for software updates. I like the sleep function on the macs, just close the lid and you're good to go!
  9. Macman45 macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    My Imac runs 24 /7, only gets rebooted for software updates etc...My laptops I always tend to shut down though...Just out of habit I guess...nothing wrong with allowing it to just sleep, especially if it's your main computer.
  10. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    I leave my rMBP either on all the time, or let it fall asleep. During the day, its on for remote access and at night if I feel so moved I'll put it to sleep.
  11. xnview macrumors member

Jun 21, 2013
    I can be wrong, but I'm not sure the OP still have the question nearly 7 years after posting thread..
  12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    True but others can benefit from the discussion as well.