sleep when the lid is closed...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OrangeCuse44, Dec 9, 2006.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

is there anyway around my macbook going to sleep when i close the lid? perhaps a prefence i keep missing or a third party app to get around this? thanks.

2. Quboid macrumors 6502

my ibook can't.........the powerbooks can. Not sure about the macintels...
    PowerPC for life............................:D

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There may be a way but trust me, you don't want this. I had it as a problem (it wouldn't go to sleep with a closed lid) the machine gets really hot, and you end up moving it more than you should because you can't be bothered to open it up and then put it to sleep, so you mess with your spinning HDD.

4. PillarFan1 macrumors member

there used to be two programs that would stop the comp from sleeping when lid was closed, but neither work with 10.4.8

insomniaX and sleepless

5. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Also, I think having the heat near the LCD is bad for the LCD. The keyboard side does dissipate some heat if it is closed this heat has to go through the LCD.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Macbook is designed to run in Clamshell Mode, this is the best I have found, I would prefer a software solution though.

7. techster85 macrumors regular

call me crazy, but why exactly would you want to do this? Going to sleep doesn't really hurt the computer and I can't really see a downside...

8. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

it was only for the reason to keep Adium connected over night...but i have gotten used to putting my macbook to sleep overnight, so its all good

9. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

i have ben looking for a way to do this so i could keep process movies or something whist it is in my rucksack

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That would potentially be very bad for your hard drive, although the accelerometer might keep it safe.

11. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

this is a family site, lets keep it clean

jk ;) :D

12. hqsbud macrumors member

On another thread, someone mentioned Sleepless as a solution. I've never tried it so I can't vouch for it, but the system requirements seem to include the MB.

Don't know why the OP wanted to do this, but regarding processing movies, that can generate a lot of heat (ffmpegx and Apple's Compressor both turn my MBP into a jet engine), so make sure you test for heat. It can run closed just fine according to Apple, but inside a bag, there might not a lot of places for heat to go. I'd recommend some tests before going all-out.

EDIT: Oops, OK, now I know why the OP wanted to do this. All I had to do was read.