Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switchedanhappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2003
ct usa
ok so I'm really happy with my new mac and all, but i have encountered a pretty serious glitch(?) here. whenever i put my g5 to sleep for too long, it will fail to wake up. I can hear all the normal noises coming from the machine, yet the screen (17 inch studio display) remains blank. any suggestions?

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Have you tried pressing the power button on the display? I know this happens to my Dual 1ghz G4 MDD whenever it is asleep for extended periods of times. No amount of mouse movement or key pressing will awake this slumbering beast unless I press the power button on the display.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
my PB does that sometimes. althought it's not as bad, occasionally it will sit at a black screen for a while after waking. i find this is even more so when using password upon waking from sleep.

it also depends on which button i press. i can't use the trackpad, but i can use the trackpad buttons and keyboard.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Re: sleeping glitch in panther (maybe)

Yes. I have this problem too. And I have the 17 inch studio display as well. However, I don't have a G5, I have a 1.25 dp G4. Pressing the power button on the monitor does nothing for me.

My work around is this:
You can get the display back by unplugging the monitor from the power source and then plugging it back in. Actually I unplug mine from the connection on the back of the monitor. This works for me.

Maybe it has something to do with the DVI Display Adapter. Maybe Apple would like for all of us to buy newer monitors.

catspaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
Dunedin, New Zealand
I am having the identical problem with my new G5 Dual. The screen activates if the computer is asleep for only a short time, but after overnight it remains black. Switching off the computer did not help, unless the display was also unplugged and re-connected.
Now with Panther just installed the screen does not stay black but instead produces a pattern of coloured vertical lines. I sent it in for servicing today, so will keep you posted.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
When this happens on my PB I just shut it again and reopen it again. It then runs just as normal. I had this happen twice since owning my PB for almost a yr now.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
hi guys this may sound daft but here goes anyway. When my powermac and studio display go to sleep no amount of mouse moving will wake them. I discovered that simply clicking the mouse once brings them both back to life with out the need for unplugging. Worth a try, although you've most likely done it already.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Yep. 10.3.1. Although this morning my display came on just fine. Yesterday I had to do the work around. I'm not sure what the deal is. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
No problems on my PowerBook or on a G4 MDD with a 17" Studio Display, both on 10.3.1. Although, I only sleep the display on the G4, not the whole machine...

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by j33pd0g
Yep. 10.3.1. Although this morning my display came on just fine. Yesterday I had to do the work around. I'm not sure what the deal is. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Nope. Not today. Today I had to do the work around.

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
I've had this happen on my AL15 PB. What happens to me is that the machine has awakened but for some reason the screen brightness is turned all the way down. For a PB this is no problem, I just press the function key to brighten the screen it comes back to life.

This may be more problematic with a desktop. Try setting a function key to affect screen brightness. Then try the func key next time the machine fails to wake from sleep.

joshuwa72

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2003
Chelsea, Michigan
Whenever I put my G4 to sleep, it sleeps just fine. However when I wake it up, everything comes on as usualy, only my monitor settings/calibration are all gone, and I have to click 'Detect Display' again to get my settings back.

Really annoying it is. Im just going to not sleep the machine, and only sleep the monitor...im just kinda worried about my computer getting too hot or something, but Im just worrying lol.

Sleep is an "enery saver"...not a "heat reducer/computer pro-longer" lol - thats what I keep telling my self though, to feel better about it lol....

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
I had to do this with my iMac ( monitor sleep with no computer sleep ) becuase of problems when the iPod was attached. It seems that if the computer went to sleep and the iPod did not, then the iMac would hang after returning from sleep. Monitor sleep with no computer sleep solved this problem.

catspaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
Dunedin, New Zealand
My display screen still does not activate after overnight computer sleep, despite a "faultless diagnostic check" (according to the service technician). It sometimes takes several frustrating and time-consuming attempts. I would love to know what percentage of G5 owners have this problem. The Apple forum has numerous references to this problem too. I hope Apple reads these posts and is researching the issue!
Any suggestions of what to do to end this glitch?

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Sometimes I have the problem of my computer (17" iMac) NOT going to sleep. I'd rather put it to sleep than shut it down but I don't want it running all night.

I wish the login screen had a "sleep" option.

Squire

qedigital

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2003
Sleep problem with USB mouse

I'm running 10.3.1 on a G3 800 iBook. I've noticed that it can be awakened from sleep even with the lid closed by moving an attached USB mouse. I don't think that this was the case in Jaguar but it does lead me to believe that the iBook can run with the lid closed (which as I understand it isn't Apple-approved operation). Anyway, this was an annoying problem since my iBook would sleep again when I opened the lid. Workaround? Unplug the mouse before closing the lid.

Just thought I'd share.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
As all the ibooks are based on PB designs and these machines have been able to be awoken by usb mice and keyboards I suppose it is only logical this should continue. I recently discovered that it's not only mice that can awake macs with my PB asleep lid shut I plugged in my usb printer and it started up. Anyone know of any other unusual usb items that awake a sleeping mac? I assume that such is the nature of usb (maybe even FW) any such device will work.

makingmesick

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
hi there, I have a similar problem with my G4 powerbook. I always use a USB mouse (i hate trackpads) and I turned off the trackpad (ignore trackpad when mouse present - I think) in the mouse and keyboard settings.

Power settings set to automatic. The PB goes to sleep, and I notice that my optical mouse lights off. I wake up the PB by hitting the space bar, but my mouse does not come back to life.

The problem is that since I have the trackpad off, I have no way of moving the cursor. I've tried to disconnect and reconnect my mouse, but the machine does not even "see" it.

This seems to happen in both Jaguar and Panther. Any suggestions? Should I just keep the machine from going to sleep?

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
even if the light on the mouse goes out if you move it or click the button it should still wake the mac as the device should still be detected. If you turn on full keyboard access in the universal access panel in sys prefs you will be able to have control even if you can't use the cursor. What happens if you unplug the mouse then plug it back in? The mac should detect it again (soz if you've answered that, short memory span!). What happens if you put the PB to sleep by closing the lid then awake it? Does it make any difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.