Sleeping Imac Intel

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by m2uk, Aug 1, 2006.

1. m2uk macrumors regular

Hi.. Hopefully someone will have a few words of wisdom. I am out of the country and my machine at home keeps sleeping. It would be, of course, the one I use for eBay and some scheduling stuff :(

I could ARD into it but now it is sleeping. Other machines on my LAN both internal and external are ok, including an Xserve, MacMini and an old G4. I would have had the same settings (wake up from power problem, do not sleep etc) and all are on UPSses (the machines are also connected to the mains which has a generator that auto kicks in)

I went away on Friday morning and by Sunday the machine had went to sleep. My mother in law (very techno phobic) who is house sitting managed to press the power on buttom and it woke it up and on the screen was a couple of power warnings from the UPS of short cut outs in the AC and the powered hub had complained/said there is no problem.

That is normal behaviour on other machines. Yet now on Tuesday AM there is no life to the machine again and the MIL is out for several hours... I can see no magic problems though..

Any clues... both Ac and UPS settings are set to NO SLEEP, wake up on ethernet ping etc (that doesn't work).

Typically I had just switched out my old G5 Powermac to sell it before the holiday and put my studio Intel iMac in its place until the new machines hopefully come.

Would appreciate any tips as I am a long way from home and a very technphobic MIL in charge of the buttons! I can do any chanbges by ARD if only it lets me in (when she presses the wakeup button again).

Many thanks in advance...

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Reset the SMC. Unplug the machine, leave for ten seconds, hold down the power button, then with it held down plug in the power cord and release the power button. If this doesn't cure it then I think that it has a hardware fault. You will need to take it to a AASP. Or call Apple. The machine will goto sleep when its too hot to protect itself.