Sleeping Mode due to Inactivity (changing times)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andylatte, Oct 11, 2005.

1. andylatte macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2005
    HI folks,

so I bought a powerbook about 1,5 years ago. Worked fine. One day I noticed it isn´t going to sleep due to inactivity anymore (System Pref-> power options) which it had been doing before.

I´ve been playing aroung with all the options, researching the net but couldn´t fix it. I ran the hardware test. Everything fine. So I backed up the whole system, installed Panther new and did a PMU reset. And my PB was going to sleep again. But the time needed to enter the sleeping mode didn´t quite correspond to the settings made.

So I set down with my stop watch clocking the time the system needed to put itself to sleep.

Power settings:
    go to sleep: after 2 minutes of inactivity
    desactivate screen: after 1 minute of inactivity
    put HD to sleep if posible: true
    screensaver: 3 min

run time
    1st ~2:30min
    2nd ~3min
    3rd ~4min
    4th ~5min

the weird thing is that it shuts down the screen always exactly after 1 minute. only the time inbetween shutting down the monitor and putting the PB to sleep varies.

PB 1,5GHz, no peripherals apart mouse, it does not matter if I activate or deactivate airport.

So if anybody has experienced alike. Or has other hints. Let me know!

2. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2002
    Stilwell, Kansas
    I bought my wife one of the new iBooks recently and it has a hard time going to sleep due to inactivity. I hope someone here has a good answer.
  3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I don't have a good answer, but I figured I'd put this out there. I heard that if classic is running, computers running OS X may have sleep troubles. I don't know what this means, but do either of you run classic?
  4. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2002
    Stilwell, Kansas
    Yes, at times when the kids are playing their games. I'll check this out tonight. Thanks
  5. andylatte thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2005

I didn´t actually "use" my PB for working. Was just testing. Plain Panther. Some Itunes, maybe. So there is definately no other software (older OS stuff) involved.