Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Lol. I would just wake up and see this thread. My phone was near my pillow the whole time I was asleep.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
It just so happens I have an EMF meter. Got it back in the day when high voltage electrical line cancers were all the rage. Checked the phone and the Apple power adapter. See the charger is in the phone. Radiation fall off is huge. By 6 inches it's nearly gone and at 12 inches no more than background, depending on how you hold it. Gauss lines of interference and all that.

Yes, this. Radiation is indeed everywhere but its the proximity to the transmitter that should be the primary concern.

This is one reason why I'm not a fan of the Apple Watch. A WiFi transmitter touching my skin all day? No thanks!

MacFrag

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
The Netherlands
Wireless signals ARE radiation.

The rest is valid though :)
You are both incorrect ;)

I am a fully licensed ham radio operator here in the Netherlands. Let me try to shed some light on this matter.

Radiation is way up higher in the spectrum. Think of X-rays (Röntgen) as in hospitals, thats radiation.

iPhones are transmitting and receiving mostly in the UHF radio band at a very safe low power output. But at a high power output (like your microwave) it becomes very dangerous.

iPhones are using radio waves that are bigger then the cells we all are made of.

When you are exposed long enough to these radio waves on the same place of your body by a device like a smartphone, some tissue might get a little tiny bit (not even good to measured so small) warm. But since blood is flowing through your body tissue you have good cooling through out of your body. You do not have to worry about it.

Radio waves are here to assist us in life.

Hopefully this clears it a bit up :)

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
My professor was telling us today how sleeping next to your mobile phone while it charges is bad for you...I've slept next to my iPhone for years and was wondering if there was any truth to this?

I'll give you one piece of advice, because I assume you are a young college student. College professors don't know everything, but they act and think like they do. Many have huge egos, and probably picked academia so they can be around less educated young adults that they can intimidate and feel smart around to feed their ego. Always approach situations with some skepticism and don't just accept everything you hear or read in college. There is an agenda in much of academia.

There are also some very good professors that have great passion for what they do... its just that I've run into a number of those like I first described.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'll give you one piece of advice, because I assume you are a young college student. College professors don't know everything, but they act and think like they do. Many have huge egos, and probably picked academia so they can be around less educated young adults that they can intimidate and feel smart around to feed their ego. Always approach situations with some skepticism and don't just accept everything you hear or read in college. There is an agenda in much of academia.

There are also some very good professors that have great passion for what they do... its just that I've run into a number of those like I first described.

You are being kind considering how I feel about academia.

Reactions: convergent

GalaxyAccount

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2017
My professor was telling us today how sleeping next to your mobile phone while it charges is bad for you...I've slept next to my iPhone for years and was wondering if there was any truth to this?

It is children and college students because due to the fact that radiation can travel, your screwed and if you have those parents who have a lot of devices on then you're more likely to get affected

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is children and college students because due to the fact that radiation can travel, your screwed and if you have those parents who have a lot of devices on then you're more likely to get affected
Seems like looking into what radiation is actually involved in it all would be of some use...as probably already happened a number of times in this thread years ago.

GalaxyAccount

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2017
Actually, you shouldn't take any electronics to bed and that includes your laptop and e-reader, too. Not only are there some seriously bad side effects of nighttime light exposure (obesity, depression, and insomnia), but it's also a safety hazard. There have been some reports that phones with faulty chargers can catch flame. Plus, any time you hear a buzz, beep, or a light goes off, your sleep is interrupted.
[doublepost=1486861297][/doublepost]browsing the web or reading from a backlit screen may be more dangerous than we ever thought, according to a new study backed by the National Institute of Health.

The researchers from Brigham and Women’s Hospital randomly assigned 12 participants to two groups; the first read LE e-books on an iPad four hours before they went to bed each night for five nights straight, while the second read printed books. After five nights, they switched it up; the first set read printed books before bed, and the second set was given e-readers. At the same time, researchers took data on how the participants responded to each type of stimulation.

As you might guess, participants using electronic devices took longer to fall asleep each night than those reading regular books, and were less sleepy before bedtime. However, they also spent less time in REM sleep (the phase that helps restore and recharge the body).

Reactions: 3568358

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Actually, you shouldn't take any electronics to bed and that includes your laptop and e-reader, too. Not only are there some seriously bad side effects of nighttime light exposure (obesity, depression, and insomnia), but it's also a safety hazard. There have been some reports that phones with faulty chargers can catch flame. Plus, any time you hear a buzz, beep, or a light goes off, your sleep is interrupted.
[doublepost=1486861297][/doublepost]browsing the web or reading from a backlit screen may be more dangerous than we ever thought, according to a new study backed by the National Institute of Health.

The researchers from Brigham and Women’s Hospital randomly assigned 12 participants to two groups; the first read LE e-books on an iPad four hours before they went to bed each night for five nights straight, while the second read printed books. After five nights, they switched it up; the first set read printed books before bed, and the second set was given e-readers. At the same time, researchers took data on how the participants responded to each type of stimulation.

As you might guess, participants using electronic devices took longer to fall asleep each night than those reading regular books, and were less sleepy before bedtime. However, they also spent less time in REM sleep (the phase that helps restore and recharge the body).
There are things related to that, which are different and separate from what this thread is/was about. They have also been getting various solutions developed for them so that those who are more sensitive to it all can make use of them--in case of Apple that's the Night Shift feature.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
What kind of professor? Art? Philosophy? Latin? Engineering? Math? Psychology? Theology? French Literature?

It is now known that the blue light emitted from modern electronic device screens is detrimental to good sleep quality. Is your phone in "do not disturb" mode when you are asleep? Are alerts silent?

You do know that cellphones have been in the broad consumer marketplace for 20+ years, yes? Some of these markets have had way higher penetration than the USA for a long time (Scandinavia, southeast Asia, etc.).

Let's take Japan as an example. Modern, industrialized nation with really high technological climate. They've had electrical high-speed rail for over 50 years. Their cellular phone adoption has pretty much led the way for the rest of the world? NFC contactless payments with a cellphone? Japan debuted this in 2005, two years before Steve Jobs announced the iPhone.

Japan has the highest life expectancy of all nations on this planet. The countries that are just behind Japan in life expectancy? The Scandinavian ones. And guess what? This ranking was basically the same way before consumer cellular telephone use was widespread.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What kind of professor? Art? Philosophy? Latin? Engineering? Math? Psychology? Theology? French Literature?

It is now known that the blue light emitted from modern electronic device screens is detrimental to good sleep quality. Is your phone in "do not disturb" mode when you are asleep? Are alerts silent?

You do know that cellphones have been in the broad consumer marketplace for 20+ years, yes? Some of these markets have had way higher penetration than the USA for a long time (Scandinavia, southeast Asia, etc.).

Let's take Japan as an example. Modern, industrialized nation with really high technological climate. They've had electrical high-speed rail for over 50 years. Their cellular phone adoption has pretty much led the way for the rest of the world? NFC contactless payments with a cellphone? Japan debuted this in 2005, two years before Steve Jobs announced the iPhone.

Japan has the highest life expectancy of all nations on this planet.
Realistically most of this has been addressed (probably more than once) years ago in this thread given that it's back from 2012.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Realistically most of this has been addressed (probably more than once) years ago in this thread given that it's back from 2012.
Read the 2012 responses to this thread. Those responders did not despite the fact that everything I wrote in today's response was true in 2012.

The original post and all of the replies since then are an abject failure.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Read the 2012 responses to this thread. Those responders did not despite the fact that everything I wrote in today's response was true in 2012.

The original post and all of the replies since then are an abject failure.
All the replies are an abject failure? Even the ones that basically say more or less similar things as what you say? Now that's some interesting logic there.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
That assumes that there are responses similar to mine.

The long-term pedagogical value of this thread is questionable, but the fact that it has been recently resurrected is a possible sign that it was not cleanly addressed before.

But anyhow, this has been a delightful resurrection of a really poorly framed inquiry and a bunch of shoddy responses.

Quite refreshing from the normal mind-numbing "what ___ should I buy?" garbage threads.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That assumes that there are responses similar to mine.

The long-term pedagogical value of this thread is questionable, but the fact that it has been recently resurrected is a possible sign that it was not cleanly addressed before.

But anyhow, this has been a delightful resurrection of a really poorly framed inquiry and a bunch of shoddy responses.

Quite refreshing from the normal mind-numbing "what ___ should I buy?" garbage threads.
Just about as often as threads get resurrected for meaningful reasons, they get resurrected for no real reason at all. In this case it seems to be more of the latter than anything else.

As far as responses go, while there certainly were various ones here and there, including joking ones essentially, there were certainly some that were very much in line with what you mentioned.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Please do not believe all the stuff your professor tells you.

Worry more about your future children with your iPhone in your front pocket just inches away. :(

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
This thread is from 2012. Today the question should be, is having Bluetooth signals transmitted directly at your head while using AirPods safe...? ;)

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

Japan has the highest life expectancy of all nations on this planet. The countries that are just behind Japan in life expectancy? The Scandinavian ones. And guess what? This ranking was basically the same way before consumer cellular telephone use was widespread.

Yeah, the original post was poorly framed. Did the OP actually report what the professor said, or was it a muddled interpretation of what was said?

sleeping next to your mobile phone while it charges is bad for you

Not, "Sleeping next to your mobile phone while it's turned on," but specifically, "while it charges." That doesn't address whether the display is off or on, it doesn't address whether the various radios are transmitting or not. If the issue was the potential fire hazard, that hazard would exist whenever and wherever it was being charged. Does the professor believe that consciousness will mitigate the fire hazard? To properly address fire hazard, it'd be more accurate to say, "Don't leave the thing unattended while charging," or "Place on a fireproof surface while charging." Somehow, I don't think that's what the professor was getting at, but who knows after all these years?

Now, about the life expectancy of Japanese and Scandinavians... Are you suggesting a linkage between their extended lifespans and their use of cell phones? Or that their lifespans don't seem to have been negatively impacted? With all the factors that go into longevity, how can we know whether other factors (such as improved diet, exercise, or medical care) mitigated the negative effects (if any) of extended use of cell phones?

2macarena

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Charging or not it is bad period to keep your iPhone or any other gadget close to your body especially to your brain! And I see that some parents (being ignorant) let their little kids play with these big phones or iPads. The EMF radiations is the major cause of neurological diseases int his country. One should look into Jack Kruse's (he is a leading neurosurgeon) research on this. So, keep your iPhone away from your brain, balls, etc guys. Also look into EMF neutralizers - these are strips of magnetic alloy that neutralize EMFs. Use that on your gadgets, TVs etc. Stay safe stay healthy.

sidewaysdesign

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Charging or not it is bad period to keep your iPhone or any other gadget close to your body especially to your brain! And I see that some parents (being ignorant) let their little kids play with these big phones or iPads. The EMF radiations is the major cause of neurological diseases int his country. One should look into Jack Kruse's (he is a leading neurosurgeon) research on this. So, keep your iPhone away from your brain, balls, etc guys. Also look into EMF neutralizers - these are strips of magnetic alloy that neutralize EMFs. Use that on your gadgets, TVs etc. Stay safe stay healthy.

A “neutralizing” strip won't accomplish much; it would have to be an effective material that properly blocks the radiation from the phone toward the direction where you are sleeping. If your phone was a lightbulb, consider what shape would be required to cast a shadow over your bed.

To the original question, any cellphone left on during the night within 10 feet of where I sleep will mess with sleep quality, particularly the deeper stages. (By left on, I mean in standby, not in airplane mode.)

I recommend either leaving a phone off or in airplane mode — or in a separate room away, if you can't be contacted by other means. And shut off the WiFi router while you're at it, or at least locate it far from sleeping areas.

I make zero claim about disease causality, and the sleep disturbance can be a fairly subtle effect. (For me, it took a long while for the pattern to emerge clearly.) It would not be surprising if many others experience something similar but haven't yet made the connection.

danbcooper

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2015
It's not ionizing radiation.. You could have your phone up in your mouth for 100 years and it wont do anything to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.