Sleeping position - What's your personality?

Discussion in 'Community' started by kylos, Sep 16, 2003.

1. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Article

I found this interesting article over at CNN.

Supposedly, people stick with a single sleep position. Interestingly, I regularly sleep in all positions (including some of my own unique positions) except that of the suspicious person. This seems to corroborate my odd performance on personality tests. So if you ask me to describe myself, I won't know exactly what to say.:D

So how do you sleep? And does your position match your personality?

2. Waluigi macrumors 6502

All very intriguing! I wish they would post pictures of the different positions they are describing, because the descriptions are confusing. Also, I have no idea how I sleep durring deep sleep in the middle of the night. Anyway, thanks for the link, very cool stuff!!

--Waluigi

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I sleep in the "log" position, indicating I am social and easygoing.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

interesting theory, i would think that too many things (like matress type, muscle activity during day, temperature, partner's sleeping habits, etc) influence this, for subconscious personality type to come forward. but, who knows :)

pnw

6. kylos thread starter macrumors 6502a

kylos

Personally, I was suprised to hear that most people sleep in one position, so it would seem that those factors you listed would have a significant impact on sleep positions. It would be interesting to see if they tested the results with different variables such as you mentioned.

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I sleep often on my side & sometimes on my back...

probably a 60/40 split...

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I basically sleep in one position only and only vary it by switching between which side I am facing. I can't sleep on my back because of my allergies, since I end up with a sore throat or sinus infection if I do, and I cannot sleep on my stomach simply because it is uncomfortable. Ah well, at least it is generally pretty comfortable in the side position. If only these dorm room mattresses weren't so horribly uncomfortable...

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I usually sleep on my right side or in the prone firing position. But recently I've gone away from the prone position because my right knee usually ends on my g/f's back and for some reason she doesn't seem to enjoy that.

Lethal

10. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

My wife wished that I slept in one position instead of tossing and turning most nights. I start on on my stomach, arms at side looking to my left.

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My girlfriend sometimes sleep walks, so that tends to make nights interesting. She will start off curled up next to me and then end up in the closet or on the floor or sleeping upside down. I wonder what that says about her personality?

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i wonder what that says about you? i mean if she'd rather sleep on the floor than... sorry, j/k:D

i have a mix of everything, usually start lying on my back, then end up on my side. if i really can't sleep i try lying on my stomach. but they're probably talking about people's sleeping habbits when they're reallydeep in sleep, in which case the person wouldn't really know what they're doing...

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hmmm....brash and gregarious...as well as calm and reserved. Hmmm, thats me I guess. ;)

I tend to start in the log position and then roll over a few minutes later. When I'm on my stomach I hold my hands next to my head under my pillow-very much like the free-fall description....soooo I am brash and gregarious, according to the study. Sometimes I'll sleep on my side, but not often. I kinda switch around a lot. Commonly though I spend a lot of time sleeping as the free-fall-6.5% of the population.

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

talking about 'freefall', when you're lying on your stomach and gong to sleep, does anyone ever have that dream that they're falling face down? that happens to me a bit, then you suddenly put pressure on the bed with your hands, as if to stop yourslef falling, then you're usually awake by then. kinda fun when that happens! :D

does anyone know what that means?:confused: am i weird or something?:p

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If I remember my psych class correctly, that means you are stressed or nervous about something. Your mind translates that into the "falling" dream where you feel like you are crashing down in an attempt to interpret it.

16. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hhmmm... i was really stressed most of last year. yep, that's probably it. :D i still reckon that those dreams are really fun though... i guess if you're really stressed you need to have some fun.:p

17. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gents

What does it mean if I sleep above my covers - four feet above my covers?

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd say we will have to tie a lead weight to your ankles and see if you sink or float in the nearest body of water. :)

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i would say you're the Gatekeeper. You might wanna get that looked at.

pnw

20. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I almost always sleep in the "soldier" position.

Why?

Because I dislike waking up in a pool of my own saliva which is guranteed if I fall asleep on my side.

21. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Durandal7, i can relate to that. :p

but i've found that hasn't happened to me if i always brush my teeth before hand. i think if you've got that food taste still in your mouth that's more likely to happen. also depends what you're thinking about when you're going to sleep. mmmm... doughnuts...;) :D

22. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-paulwhannel

I guess I'll just take my thorazine. :D

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have done them all except for the freefall position

when i take a short nap i do the soldier position or starfish position

for long term sleeping sessions, i sleep on my side (i think) but i am in too deep a sleep to notice:p

24. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Yeah that happens to me too. It's kinda scary sometimes though. It's something that happens right before you go into a deep sleep or something I read.

I slept on my stomach forever. I started to get bad headachs and neck and back pain. So i went to the DR. and they took x-rays and stuff and found that my spine had become twisted and out of alignment. So now i have to go to physical tharapy twice a week and now my insurance has stoped paying because of all my biking injuries and now this :eek:. But anyway they figured that I tweeked my neck in a bike crash, they thought my neck was broken for awhile :confused: Luckly the radiologhist said it wasn't, then it just kept getting worse by sleeping on my stomach so now I have some special pillow and sleep on my side or back. :mad:

25. bcsimac macrumors 6502

I start out on my side with my left arm around my wife......if she gets irritated or something then i end up sleeping on my back. She changes positions all night long. She sleeps on side, on back, on stomach with arms under pillow, side again with her arms folded over like a mother looking disapprovingly at you.