Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Does anyone know how much power a computer generally uses while sleeping with the HD spun down and monitor off? I have an iMac DV 400 with 10.2.6 and 576 MB of RAM, but I assume that most computers use pretty much the same amount of power while sleeping. Thanks!

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Not really an answer...

I don't know the power consumption, but I was curious myself. This isn't a direct answer in any way, more an observation.

I found an app "Temperature Monitor" http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994 that gives you the temp of your processors. In a 78 degree room, with a machine that has been in sleep mode for about 12 hrs, the processors run at about 90 degrees. So it's making heat...

Now there is probably some physics magic you could estimate the power consumption from the temp known voltages and known resistance, but I don't know enough physics. I am sure the power spec is available, I don't know where it is.

The other thing I found interesting is how quickly the processors heat up. When my DP 1.25 boots completely, I have the Temp Program as a startup item, the temp is at about 125 degrees in only the boot up time. It runs on average at about 135 or so. Gets to that temp in seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.