Sleeping Powerbook (again)!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dummptyhummpty, Apr 21, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

I was using my powerbook and all of a sudden it went to sleep. I woke it up but it went back to sleep. I got it to wake up for a bit and then it went back to sleep and is still sleeping (it's been about 20mins). I noticed the fans were running alot and it was very hot to the touch. Is this normal for when the computer gets hot? I had it do this before and an apple tech had me clear some stuff in openfirmware. Any ideas?

2. macrumors regular

i believe that yes, the powerbooks are designed to go to sleep when the become too hot so as to prevent overheating. what is your cpu/ram usage like when this happens? if you're running a bunch of apps all at once, it's not surprising that the computer would become hot. however, if this is just happening randomly, i would imagine something is messed up in your system processes and eating a tremendous amount of cpu power.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

I was just browsing the web. I had been messing with google earth and the system was starting to slow down so maybe that is what it was. I let it cool down but it never work up so I pulled the battery. All seems well now. The mac sits on a wood desk but has room to breath...this is ok right?

4. macrumors 68020

This is not normal behavior. You should contact Applecare.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

OK ... they had me do all this stuff last time and it didn't help until the open firmware part. I noticed the fans running again today and when I came back it was sleeping. It seems ok now.