Sleeping Powerbook: Part 4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dummptyhummpty, May 10, 2006.

1. dummptyhummpty macrumors regular

If you want to read up on this just search for my username.

I took my Powerbook back to the mac store since they told me the logic board was causing it to get hot and go to sleep. The "genius" told me he had to see this happen to take it. I ran some stuff to get the CPU usage up and it was getting hot. He said this was normal and that it was probably just getting too hot and going to sleep. He suggested getting one of those lap cooler things or to prop it up while its on my desk. I asked him about the previous diagnosis and he said that the trick the guy used was for the older powerbooks. He said I could call and have a box send to me and ship it from my home. Should I just get one of those coolers and see if it goes away or should I just ship it out to Apple. Thanks!

2. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

if you have applecare, i would advise you to ship it off and have apple take a look at it. if it turns out that you need a new logic board (or anything else for that matter), better to get it taken care of sooner rather than later. especially when it won't cost you a dime...

if you don't have applecare, i would try running the machine propped up for awhile to see if it makes any difference. and if better ventilation seems to cure your powerbook's narcolepsy, then by all means, invest in a cooling pad. :cool:

3. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

Yah I have it. I thought to send it out just in case and since I have all my stuff backed up anyway.

4. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

good move. :cool:

i had to have the logic board replaced in my powerbook a few months ago (lower ram slot failure). literally took less than four days from when i shipped it out to have it again back in my arms.

best of luck to you. :)

5. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

Oh wow that works!!!!