Sleepwalkers who have 'sex sleep'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Oct 15, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

how bizarre.... but maybe the perfect excuse if you're caught ON the job so to speak! heheheh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3744226.stm

2. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

"no baby, don't leave me! its a disease! i cant help it!"

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

When I saw the title of this thread, I somehow knew it had to be iGav behind it! :D

Well, that certainly opens up a lot of interesting excuses, will the cause divorce rates to drop? :p :rolleyes:

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is bizarre. I used to sleepwalk as a child. Usually it was getting up and turning on lights in the house. Sounds like I was very lucky that I didn't leave the house. :eek:

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's just bizarre....and then you wouldn't have any memory of it.

"Honey, I just had the most crazy dream...." :D

D

6. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Quote: "Mr Buchanan ran a series of tests on the woman and diagnosed her problem - sleep sex."

Hmmm .... I wonder about those tests ...

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This is very bizarre! So, as they are just acting out their dreams, they presumably find very fit people to sleep with as well, do they? :p :D

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Yeah, exactly what is the scientific method used to determine this "disease?" Did the scientist just let her sleep and then hang around outside the room with his pants around his ankles, sipping a beer? :D

9. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I've always been affraid that I would wake up in the middle of the night doing something crazy and people would be looking at me, wondering what the heck I was doing.

When I was younger I would get up, go upstairs and start going through the closet searching for something... my brother would come in and ask me what I was doing. He'd eventually ake me up... ut I've always been affraid I'd be slaughtering loved ones in a dream and not realize it. :)

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Interesting, we're just studying sleep cycles and sleep stages in my Psychology class. Stage 4 sleep is when sleepwalking/night terrors (not nightmares) occur. Stage 4 sleep happens mostly during the first parts of sleep. REM sleep, dreams, nightmares, occurs during stage 1 sleep. This stage occurs mostly during the later parts of sleep shortly before waking. During this time the brain waves are very similar to that of a fully awake person. However the brain blocks it's link to the body so that the rest of the body is paralyzed. It is impossible then (and probably for good reason) that your body would physically react to dreams.

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Sleepwalking and yet she remembered to use a condom? Yeah right!! :rolleyes:

12. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

C'mon, don't be a cynic. Probably the guy she stumbled into happened to have one handy, for just this kind of situation....

"Sex sleep" might be good for a chuckle or two, but this behavior really is kind of disturbing when you think about it. What is she dreamed she was suffocating her husband with a pillow or something? Is this enough of an established disorder to have a defensible position in court?

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, that article specifically mentioned people who had attacked loved ones in their sleep, specifically one guy who pounded on his girlfriend with a camcorder. Don't know if that worked in court or not, but the article made it sound like it was real.

Sounds weird, but according to the article, so long as reality lines up with the artificial reality of your dream, you probably won't wake up, and that sort of makes sense to me. Hence, if you think you're beating on a mugger in your dream and he's shouting at you and trying to get away, that could line up nicely with your husband's reaction, so your brain just works it into a dream, just like when the phone starts ringing and you start hearing some repetitive ringing sound in your dream instead of waking up.

I've certainly had violent dreams in the past, so it's scary to think of what could happen if I were a sleepwalker.

14. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Don't be a cynic? I think he's dead on...

The article said the husband became suspicious after finding condoms around the house. "Around the house" is the key element for me...

She got up, walked out of the house and then brought someone back to the house with her to have protected sex...

15. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

of course, this mechanism is faulty in a lot of people, hence the sleepwalking. Nothing ever works out exactly as they make it out to be in the textbooks

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I've got to wonder about the type/calibre of guy who would consent to such an activity with someone who was obviously not fully "there" (ie asleep) and then follow her home...

I mean I can be a horndog as much as the next guy, but come on...

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Are there any more studies planned? I can clear up my schedule :D I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice my body for the sake of science...

19. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It's certainly a new excuse if you're ever caught at it with someone you shouldn't.... 'Sorry Honey...I was asleep.'

20. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Several times...'condoms around the house' - plural.

21. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

they know what they are doing

this is all just one elaborate excuse to have extra-maritial sex. shame on everyone looking to provide an excuse, these people are just acting out their deepest desires. whether they are "asleep" is irrelevant because they are actually conscious of what they are doing whether or not they realize it. they made the choice to cheat, and this is just a convenient defense mechanism. people need to start accepting responsibility for their actions, not look for the next convenient method of copping out. :rolleyes:

if you are asleep and dreaming about sex, and you wake up grinding against your pillow/partner, you were perfectly aware of your thoughts, feelings, intentions, desires, w/e. just because you happened to be asleep doesn't mean you didn't WANT the sexual relief.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, but hasn't everyone wanted to have sex at some time during their lives or........day? ;) Sexual desire is one thing, but that doesn't mean that she was wrong in desiring.

I don't believe that anybody could go out and "sleep sex", because I always thought that sleepwalking meant that you couldn't carry on a conversation.

And the guys who would just sleep with a random middle-aged woman who offers herself are just gross. These guys may be much younger as far as I know. If she was a hot 21 year old model, then I'd be able to understand it a bit more. ;)

23. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

their is nothing wrong with the desire, it's obviously natural. however, by not allowing herself to act out her desires, her body is basically taking care of itself and using this as a defense mechanism. it's the way the world works, sex is okay as long as it's with one person only and you're married blah blah blah, but act out on your sexual needs and you're a slut/whore/nasty guy, w/e. the more we encourage "closet behavior" the more of this type of activity you will see.

i'm surprised i've never slept walked to my closet and loaded up some greens.

24. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Read the article an tried to pull off the "sleep sex" on my wife, sorry to say it went no where :(

I don't see how a sleeping person could have sex with someone if a non sleeping person who is pretending to be asleep could not have sex... I guess I just don't get it, literally.

25. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

lol!! hehehe this whole thing is soo funny! i can't believe that some people try to use this excuse?!?!!