Sleeve vs bag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dewey decibel, Nov 25, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Or both?

Just wondering what people's preferences are. Right now I'm leaning toward a bag- I'm thinking of I guess what's called a messenger style bag. I guess the plus with a sleeve is that you could then throw your laptop in any bag? Otherwise the sleeve's not really making much sense to me.

2. macrumors 6502a

I use a sleeve and a bag. The sleeve usually stays in the bag and adds extra protection. I can take it out when I take the laptop over to someone's house without the bag.

- James

3. macrumors 603

swiftaw

I use a sleeve and a bag, the sleeve fits into the bag, but I can also just use the sleeve alone of I don't want to carry the whole bag around. Both the sleeve and bag are by Tom Bihn

4. macrumors 68000

thechidz

I used to use both with a speck plastic cover as well. It gt to be overkill and I realized with the speck on the machine is fine in a messenger bag...

5. macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I use only a bag right now but I am thinking about getting the sleeve for extra protection for my MacBook.

6. macrumors member

7. macrumors newbie

i use a sleeve cuz i just put the laptop in my backpack if i need to travel. i cannot drag a messenger bag around..plus i think its ugly. plus i think my sleeve gives my macbook a more personal protection since it seals it in..not sure what kinda cushioning the messenger bag has..

8. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just a sleeve for me.

9. macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Just a bag; inside the bag itself there is a divider where I can place the laptop, it keeps it protected from the other things I put in there.

10. macrumors 6502

Speck shell, Booq Sleeve Vyper and a Swiss Gear bag for me.

11. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Moshi Codex/Booq Vyper sleeve then just in my normal university bag.

12. macrumors regular

i prefer sleeves because that allows for use in any bag whereas a laptop bag is severly limiting.

13. macrumors regular

I have the messenger-style MBP bag from Spire USA and love it. It's my second bag that I've purchased from them as this new 15" MBP doesn't fit in my old bag that I originally bought for my Lombard and TiBook.

http://spireusa.com/products/EN8.htm

14. macrumors 6502a

A sleeve casn be used in most any bag, and therefore does not scream "laptop inside -- steal me!". So, sleeve for me and any bag that I feel comfortable carrying at the time -- even a standard canvas tote!

15. macrumors 6502a

I use a sleeve because it means I can then use any bag I want without having to pay a premium for a 'laptop' bag & without being limited to a the often awful styles of laptop bags. I use a Be-ez La Robe sleeve which live permanently in my Visconit leather messenger bag.

16. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

17. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. The idea of a sleeve inside a plain bag appeals to me. The only issue is I'm worried the sleeve (such as the InCase) won't supply enough protection, and I don't really have a plain bag anyway. There is the Brenthaven Edge which looks very durable, but it's also not really a sleeve and maybe a bit too bulky to put inside another bag.

Thanks, nice job. I think I spent more time looking at your co-host than the bags, though...

18. macrumors 6502

19. macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would say get a sleeve, you can get a great one for pretty cheap, and they can fit into any bag you already have. I recommend the Brenthaven Eclipse Sleeve ($39) and offers a hell of a lot of protection for a sleeve, and works great as a standalone case if you do not feel like carrying a bag (has a retractable handle).

20. macrumors 6502a

I second SFBags! They are great, really protective and super well made. Highly customizable! Great customer service as well.

21. thread starter macrumors member

So I went to the Apple Store, Best Buy and an Office Max to have a look. I have to say, I was really unimpressed with the InCase Sleeve which was a front runner in my mind. It really seemed like it doesn't offer much protection, only scatch protection really. Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning on dropping my Macbook anytime soon, but I'm more worried about compression protection. If I'm travelling I want to be able to put it in a overhead or in a car with other gear and not worry too much about it.

Most of the messenger bags didn't impress me either (Swiss Gear, Targus, etc). The Apple Store really didn't have much, but they did have a Brenthaven Metro Lite, and I have to say it was the only thing I saw all day that I felt would offer any protection besides a couple hardshells I saw at Office Max. They didn't have the Brenthaven Edge, which is one I'd like to look at. If it's small enough it could double as a bag and a sleeve, but I have a feeling it isn't.

Thanks for the thoughts- I'm still on the fence about a sleeve or a bag. Ideally I'd do both, but I already dropped most my cash on buying my Macbook. And when it comes to one or the other I think I'm leaning bag right now.

22. macrumors member

I bought an STM Sleeve, but I'll be getting a bag as well soon (also from STM - they rock). Twice the protection. :)

23. macrumors 6502a

steve31

I use the uniea u suit for my macbook and my macbook pro. I love them and it still fits in my case.