SLI for Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by deanbo, May 20, 2005.

1. deanbo macrumors regular

Scalable link interface for Mac. Is it likely?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not too likely...

Don't know who Apple was using for their PCI-X HT tunnel supplier, but they would be worth looking at to see what configuration they are pushing.

For example, AMD was pushing a PCI-Express Video/PCI-X 2.0 HT configuration with their HT Tunnels and chips.

Edit: of course Apple may just opt to replace AGP with a single PCI-Express port, but it will all depend on what configuration the next generation Controller morphs into or what CPU Apple chooses to use next and the number of pins that are free.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not until Apple adopts PCIe instead of AGP and puts two slots in one PM.

4. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Well let's see Apple get PCI-Express first and then we can talk about SLI.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Or an nVidia chipset, which is highly unlikely. ;)

6. deanbo thread starter macrumors regular

Nvidia Chipset

I'm not so sure an Nvidia chipset is required for SLI, as ATI is releasing it's own version soon.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

This twin graphic cards concept crashed last time round and there not that succesful now.

Save your money for a big TFT, which will increase your computer experience.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I don't think ATI has entered the motherboard chipset business yet, I think Nvidia is still the main graphics card company that makes their own chipsets for motherboards -- like the Nvidia nForce4 SLI Chipset.

ATI may make a SLI GPU but not a motherboard chipset.

Edit: Of course if Intel adopts SLI technology into their chipsets, we may see Apple take the plunge. But I don't think Intel has announced a SLI chipset yet either.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I personally think that, if Apple decides to implement SLI support in its Macs, they will do what they always do (add at least 2 PCI Express slots to the PowerMac and write the appropriate drivers). The chipset thing will be a total non-issue because of the control Apple has over the design of their Macs.

10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well ATI already make chipsets and will be releasing their SLI (ATI call it AMR) chipset in early June. Intel do make their own dual PCI-EX slot chipset and it is meant to work with 2 ATI cards, but may have problems 2 Nvidia cards.

Edit: VIA also make their own SLI chipset for AMD and Intel platforms.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Last time I looked ATI wasn't listed on the chipset vendors, and it's been awhile since I have no reason to keep up with PC chipsets.

Oh well now it's 2 standards, which one will Apple choose. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're saying Intel will choose both (like usual), but haven't dumped either onto the market yet.

But alas Apple also has another direction they can choose if they so wish... one that Microsoft and Sony are using to negate the need for dual cards.

12. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Well I don't know what list you are referring to. ATi chipsets have been shipping for a while now for P4 mobos (starting with the very unpopular 9100IGP). There is a chipset section on the Ati website. Have only started shipping the Xpress range for the AMD64. Maybe when they ship the MVP/AMR (or whatever the hell they are calling it now) NVidia will have a challenger in the high end enthusiast segment.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Name all the PC chipset suppliers... that's the vendor list.

Since ATI wasn't on it last time I checked, you can get an idea how much I care about looking at PC chipsets. :p

14. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Where is this vendor list?

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well if you write it down, it will be right in front of you.

Of course Google is also a choice....

But it's a much longer list that the PowerPC vendor list.

Especially since three signed IBM elastic-bus contracts for chipset development on the PPC970 a long time ago (Mai Logic, Marvell, and Tundra), but have failed to ship product as of yet. :(

Basically we are stuck with Apple and IBM for the PPC970, and Apple hasn't sold their chipsets to anyone else.

Easy to find complete non-Apple G4 computers, but the list drops to one non-Apple G5 computer -- and it's using the IBM CPC925 Northbridge.

16. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yea ATI has chipsets, but they aren't very good....yet.

17. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I think it's possible we'll see PCIe in the next revision of PowerMacs. Less likely that we'll see two slots.

18. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well if they don't come up with their own thing...then it looks like they will use ATi since most of their current GPU's are from ATi...but that may change :rolleyes: :confused: ;)