Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Lotta hate here for iOS 7

I actually like 7 for the most part. My disappointment with iOS 7 doesn't come from the UI changes but rather the lack of sound improvements to application features. I'm talking feature parity with Mac OS apps.

Its pretty bad when apps on Mac OS, that arrived well after their iOS versions, have far more features and usability than the iOS versions.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
How come most people here seems to hate or dislike the new iOS 7 design? I think it's beautiful and it's more coherent with the hardware design especially with the 5C. I can't imagine myself going back to the old iOS now.

I guess people DON'T like changes?

Chrisedge

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
The OC
Complaints seem to fall into one of two buckets.

The look of IO7
The functionality of IO7

I have no issues with people harping on the color palette, or the flat design. However I do take issue with the complaints (most of them anyways) about the functionality of IO7 which in my opinion was a huge step forward. Now there are a couple of small complains around the music app, the resources on older phones, etc, but most of that was solved with 7.1.

Bitching about the new search? Come on, that is really nit picking if you swipe down from all the way at the top vs in the middle of the screen.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
i thought i was "trippin" just taking these :D my favorite is still yellow font on white background, BRILLIANT IDEA :rolleyes:

2w53ipe.png

I'm not sure what your point is with this pic. Do you think it contradicts what I said?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Jony Ive, the next Scott Forstall.
They need to stop trying to be Steve, there is a difference between being in charge of the whole company and being unprofessional.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
How come most people here seems to hate or dislike the new iOS 7 design? I think it's beautiful and it's more coherent with the hardware design especially with the 5C. I can't imagine myself going back to the old iOS now.

There are quite a few mentioned earlier in thread.

For starters programs take longer to load in iOS 7 than iOS 6; apps crash more often; animations aren't as smooth.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010

I'd be a much bigger supporter of iOS 7 if text for buttons died a quick death. That and the abundance of white have been my biggest complaints. There are lots of positive changes as well. I like Control Center a lot. I hate the idea of not having the ability to swipe between pages and never understood what took so long for that to come to the iPhone/iPad. But there are a lot of visual problems with iOS 7 still that don't boil down to liking or not liking change, but simply to "this is too hard to read" or "this actually just became more complicated and clunky than it used to be." I'm one to think/hope they'll be worked out and attributable to a rushed design process, but with recent rumors suggesting that iOS wouldn't provide much at all of a visual overhaul, I'm a little more concerned, as there are still a fair amount of visual design issues in iOS 7 that really need to get worked out.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I like the design of iOS 7. It's cleaner , sharper, and doesn't waste space on stitching or the look of torn paper edges. Ive was given control of the OS and he should exert it. He shouldn't be wasting time on little people with hurt feelings. Everyone should be on the same page so they can focus on new features.

I don't understand the iOS 7 hate either, for the most part is a big improvement in usability over the previous design. The fact that it runs well on my old hardware doesn't hurt either.

Like you I also see functionality of the included apps as a big issue, iOS 8 really needs to address this.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Great, now iOS 8 will look even worse. Just hire an excellent software designer/developer and put them in charge of iOS. Ive is a hardware guy, but he doesn't understand anything about software design.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
people use Siri? :eek:

People like me are using Siri all the time, I am just spending less time listening to to the music of people with very limited talent, mr. bushido fan.
I still haven't met a person using the Google equivalent. Every person I know using speech recognition is using Siri.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I don't understand the iOS 7 hate either, for the most part is a big improvement in usability over the previous design. The fact that it runs well on my old hardware doesn't hurt either.

Like you I also see functionality of the included apps as a big issue, iOS 8 really needs to address this.

Same for me, iOS 7 made me come back to iPhone.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
I'm not pleased

If Ive is behind the current look/feel/operation that is iOS 7, then I am already sorely missing Christie and Forstall. I despise iOS 7.

I updated our iPad to iOS 7 and I hate it. Thank God all our iPhones & iPods are still on the previous version.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
bunch of uninformed opinions

FACT: all we know is that they are not agreeing with each other, nothing else, no other details.

MR posters: it's all Ive's fault.

:confused:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I like it. Sure, there are things I would change, but I find the simplicity to be very elegant. Designers went too far with gradients and textures a few years back, so I personally like the reset.

Well, to each their own of course. Personally, I think that the flat design aesthetic was created in a trendy bubble in silicon valley. I suspect we'll evolve away from it toward the next trend.

The sad part is that Apple itself used to set these trends--not follow them.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
No, you didn't fix it. You merely expressed your limited understanding of the whole of software design. Usability features are not based on trends or opinions. They are based on provable concepts, and do indeed progress. Sure, certain stylings are merely superficial and cosmetic, but really good design is timeless. Flat is not a really good design and is not timeless.

Was skukeomorphism timeless great design?

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Lord of the OS's! One VP to rule them all! :D

Seriously, I hate to see people having falling outs, but he is the VP. Personally, I like most of the stuff John Ive makes. I do hope Christie does well in the next phase of his career.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
It looks decent because it has changed. Look at 10.0:

thats evolution though not a whole new concept. i am not even completely against iOS7, it does look better than iOS6 (which looked DATED) and i was so excited when i saw the keynote of iOS7 but there r just certain aspects that make no sense to me but a jailbreak fixed most of those issues for me so its all good in the end :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.