Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
Okay, this is ridiculous.

I have been a *very happy* Mac user since switching last August. I love everything about this machine. No problems at all, or nothing I couldn't figure out eventually. Except one thing.

I have spent MONTHS looking for a piece of software that will display images as if it were a slideshow, and it is ridiculous that I have not yet found ANYTHING even close. What I am asking for is not that difficult.

All I want is a program that will:
1) Display an image in fullscreen with a black background. No dock, no toolbar. Just the image.

2) Move to the next or previous image inside the current folder with arrow keys (or whatever keys, doesn't matter).

3) The ability to rotate an image while it's being displayed, like with the "L" or "R" key.

4) It would be *nice* to have drag and drop capability, such as dragging an image file to the application icon on the dock.

That's it! Simple. And yet I am starting to believe it doesn't exist for OSX.

I feel that this is an important program to have for the Mac as well. For example, I am a Fine Arts student, and we have begun giving slide lectures recently for a board of directors in the art department. Many of us (including myself) have chosen to digitize our imagery and use the digital projector to present our work. Therefore, I am forced to use a Windows machine (which has plenty of programs that serve this purpose, one is even included with the OS) for my slide lecture.

I would be eternally grateful for any suggestions. If anyone has found a program that does these things, I can't tell you how happy I would be.

Many thanks in advance.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
Funny that, i too switched in August and i too am looking for a slideshow viewer finder plugin.

the previews in column-view are just too small. and basic editing features would be a plus. i did find some applescripts on the applescript website which you can place in your finder bar... but nothing to combine that and the bigger preview

Elkef

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2005
Belgium
It is easyer than you would think in OSX 10.3

1. Just select the images or the folder you want in your "Slide show"
2. right click or ctrl click
3. select open with Preview

Now you will see preview with all your images there. You can scroll through them by using the arrow keys.

4. Go to menu : View and select full screen and there you go.

Hope this helps

eyeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
Elkef said:

Now you will see preview with all your images there. You can scroll through them by using the arrow keys.

Hope this helps

Thanks, that does help.

However, 2 things:
1) you still can't rotate the image (while it's in fullscreen mode), and
2) dragging one image, or selecting one image to be opened in Preview doesn't let you go to the next image in the folder. It only allows you to see that one image. Therefore, in order to see the contents of an antire folder, you have to select all and open all of them in Preview.

Close, but still no cigar. The suggestion was much appreciated though.

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
Elkef said:

Hope this helps

yep very true and 10.3's version of preview is a lot faster than 10.2's and works great, however it would still be nice to have an option for a slideshow. hopefully this feature will be added in tiger :) (like the one in the mail/tiger preview)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
GraphicConverter does what you want and much, much more. There are dozens of options for slideshows (including full screen scaling and image rotation). Only thing I'm not sure about is dragging & dropping for a slideshow.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
HiRez said:
GraphicConverter does what you want and much, much more. There are dozens of options for slideshows (including full screen scaling and image rotation). Only thing I'm not sure about is dragging & dropping for a slideshow.

Oh wow, I think you might have nailed it for me.

I'll have to play around with it a bit, but this seems to be *exactly* what I'm looking for.

If I were nearby, I would be kissing the ground you walk on.

Thank you a million!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.