Slight wobble... normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by warfed, Sep 26, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

My new MBA has a slight wobble when sitting on a flat surface. The left front foot is slightly higher than the rest. I can slide a piece of paper under it without a problem. Is this a normal for this laptop or is this reason for exchange? I went to the store today and the tech tightened the screws... that fixed the problem for a few hours, but the wobble is now back.

2. macrumors regular

I had the exact same issue with mine. I was within my 14 days and exchanged it at the apple store. I would bring it in. You should expect your laptop to be level :)

3. macrumors member

I noticed this as well - also left front. I don't consider it an issue as it is only noticeable when I go out of my way to push down on that corner on a flat surface. It just feels slightly different.

I'm sure you can return it in the 14 days, but really, is it that big of a deal?

4. macrumors regular

mine is 100% level..

so if i where you i would take it back to the store

5. macrumors 68030

vitzr

The base of the laptop is warped.

My original had the problem you described. When I called Apple, they immediately suggested I either return it (I ordered via Apple Online) or take it into a store.

Because I have an Apple store just two miles from home, I opted to take it in. The Genius was so familiar with this common problem he didn't even check it.

He immediately gave me a new one, the sales person did the exchange and I was out in less than 30 minutes.

6. macrumors 68000

maybe your desk is not really flat. try moving to another desk or another part of that desk and see if it's still wobbling.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

It isn't a "huge" deal, but I noticed it the first time I typed on a desk. The wobble isn't terrible, but it still moves a bit while I'm typing.

I thought so too at first, but I tried on many surfaces (including glass) since and it wobbles everywhere.

Yeah, I think that's what I will end up doing. I still have a week to return it and I know it will just keep bothering me.

Thanks for all the replies.

8. macrumors member

I checked mine again and now there's no issue. I tried your paper test and it was fine. :shrug: If it's bothering you, take it in - mine was unnoticeable during use. What you're describing would probably get on my nerves.

9. macrumors regular

For what it's worth, my replacement did not have the issue.

10. macrumors 65816

Interesting - I've noticed a wobble in my 2011 i5 Air for the past several weeks. I tried the electrical tape trick, which actually works well, but eventually figured out that the issue was an icarbon skin that I had applied to my unit. It seems to be thick enough that is causes some problems with the level. I took off the bottom skin and the unit the perfectly flat now. Bummer, because I really liked that skin.

11. macrumors member

My 2010 13 wobbles all the time, but I don't typically use it on a desk, rather when I'm on the couch so it doesn't really bother me. I don't think it's too much of a problem as they're quite pliable.

12. macrumors 6502

alecgold

my 13" 2010 seemed more pliable than my 2011 11"!

13. thread starter macrumors regular

So I went to the apple store today and got a new air... exact same wobble haha. Decided to keep it, no point wasting another machine, I'll just do the electrical tape trick (thanks for the tip).

14. macrumors 65816

That trick works really well, BTW - you can't even tells its there.