Slightly dark spot on 15" PB display?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by apelet, Jun 14, 2005.

1. apelet macrumors member

I just got my brand new 15" powerbook last week. Beautiful machine...
    And almost flawless..

One thing that I noticed is that there is a bit right at the bottom left corner of the screen where the backlight seems to be slightly darker than the rest. It's only about 3 or 4 millimeters in radius, and isn't noticeable during normal use, but sometimes just knowing its there...

Anyway, I don't think I'll bother replacing it, but have any of you noticed similar darkened spots on displays? Did you send it out for repair or just forget about it and keep the computer?

Other than that, I'm really happy with this powerbook!

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If you got it as a non-BTO from the store, I would just go exchange it. It's not worth having it die later when you REALLY need it, and right now they'll happily fix it for you.

3. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

There were some issues with the 15" displays earlier, but those were white spots and have since been corrected.

I think my 12" had some kinda dark areas by the hinges. Is that kind of what you have? Is it on both sides?

If in doubt, I guess I'd drag it to an Apple store (assuming it's not a 5 hour drive) and have them take a peek.

4. apelet thread starter macrumors member

It's definitely not the white spots. I think it is close to what you have on your 12". As far as I can tell it is only on the right side corner.

I'd like to maybe have someone look at it, but I'm in Canada, and miles away from any Apple store. I'm moving to go to school in New York this fall, so maybe I'll have it looked at then. It'll still be under warranty...

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

My 800 MHz (DVI) PowerBook has something similar to this. What it is, I believe, is where the screen got "burned" over the years from me running it with the lid closed (the spot definitely wasn't there when it was new 4 years ago). The spot is in the lower center of the screen, about between where the T and Y keys are when the lid is closed. Removing the keyboard reveals a large amount of heat sink area directly under this region, so I think that's probably where the heat escaped from and slowly damaged the screen, as there was nowhere for it to go with the lid closed. I've gotten used to it and most of the time I don't even notice it anymore, but every once in a while it catches my eye and annoys me :rolleyes:.

6. wako macrumors 65816

I definately think you should get it checked out, you just payed thousand or more dollars on a brand new system, I think its Apple's responsibility that it is completely flawless.

7. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I have the exact same problem as you, except my spot is the lower right hand corner. I find that if I turn the backlight off then on again a couple times, that temporarily fixes the problem. It's not a huge deal. I mostly just notice it when there is a solid colour in that area.