Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
okay, first to relations to macintosh:
something made by a company of which Steve Jobs is the largest private shareholder
Probably made on a Mac (amongst others)

My subject: Pirates of the Caribbean 2 with Johnny Depp.

Question: Am I paranoid or has someone else notice Depp managed to sneak another catchline from the Fast Show into POTC? in the first film, in the extras, he used to "I`ll get me coat" line, that was obvious.
Now I noticed that in the trailer (see Front Row), when the Kraken shows up, he says: Oh, bugger. This is the standard end phrase of the unlucky Alph sketches.

Now, I may know enough English to write and speak correctly, I have no idea how probable it would be for an American actor to use this exact word. So, it might be purely coincidence, but somehow I doubt it. Anyone have an opinion on this?

PS The fast show is a revolutionary sketch show from the UK, and was one of the first to drop the whole beginning-middle-end schemes that slowed these kind of shows down. I recommend it to anyone.

PPS Johnny Depp was a guest star in the last fast show ever (it was called last fast show ever) and is one of the biggest fans of the FS

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I did kind of find it weird for him to use the word "bugger", but then again I think you have too much free time on your hands. ;)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Basically it's a wierd thing for a pirate to say buggar, as I've never heard a pirate say such things before. Mind you though, I've never met a pirate before so I guess I wouldn't have...

Anyways, about the film. I thought it was okay, but I really didn't think it was that special. I mean, it's very dragged out, and unlike LOTR, it had a crap ending. All the LOTR films had good endings and you always wanted to watch the next one. This one was different on the other hand. I'm not too interested in seeing Pirates Of The Carribean III - Captin Sparrow Meets a Man...

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
For those who don't know what's it all about, it's hard to explain it if you haven't seen some episodes from the Fast Show. A lot of the humor comes from running gags, these are patterns that come back throughout several sketches, episodes, even series. A classic example is the shoesize joke from Monty Python, were on several occasions, people that are talking on the telephone are asked what shoesize they have, this is not really funny, unless you see it in several sketches.
The catchphrases and running gags of the Fast Show are really addictive, and since Johhny Depp is a huge fan, he snuck one of those catchphrases in the extras of POTC 1. I've only seen the trailer for POTC 2, but him ssaying "buggar" rang a small alarm bell inside my head, and I wanted to know if it was just me. But since two people are saying it's not really a common word to say, I am 97 % sure that he did indeed use a Fast Show catchphrase again.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Uh, I'm not that convinced about either lines being a reference to an external show...

Seeing the time of the adventures, I expect Jack Sparrow to be British or of British bloodline, and I'm sure the production wants to insist on this 'ole English style. (Actually, there wasn't much of a standard "North American" man by then, nor of a common "North American" language...)
Additionally, Sparrow is a, er, "self-educated" man, in the world of pirates, so his command of English is a little distorted.

So, I'm not surprised by the use of "bugger", or "I'll get me coat".
The first one might not be used often nowadays, but the second is quite common in street language in some parts of England.0

For the use of "bugger" nowadays, I think Hugh Grant says it like 30 times in "4 weddings and a funeral"... :rolleyes:

Btw, i'm going to POTC 2 tonight :)

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Arnaud said:
Uh, I'm not that convinced about either lines being a reference to an external show...

Seeing the time of the adventures, I expect Jack Sparrow to be British or of British bloodline, and I'm sure the production wants to insist on this 'ole English style. (Actually, there wasn't much of a standard "North American" man by then, nor of a common "North American" language...)
Additionally, Sparrow is a, er, "self-educated" man, in the world of pirates, so his command of English is a little distorted.

The first one might not be used often nowadays, but the second is quite common in street language in some parts of England.0

For the use of "bugger" nowadays, I think Hugh Grant says it like 30 times in "4 weddings and a funeral"... :rolleyes:

I'll get me coat was definitly intended, this has been confirmed by many sources, and the way it is used is identical to the Fast Show (getting out of an awkward situation)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't understand what the frack™ you're talking about... ;) but I caught a couple of clips of the Fast Show on YouTube, including one with Johnny Depp, and I do have to say it's cute. :)

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Macnoviz said:
I'll get me coat was definitly intended, this has been confirmed by many sources, and the way it is used is identical to the Fast Show (getting out of an awkward situation)

Well, if it's been "confirmed by many sources", then I even wonder why you ask in the first place.
However, a Google search gives this from Wikipedia: "A great favourite of Johnny Depp who appeared in a sketch with the "Suit You" tailors ("An American Gentleman") in The Last Fast Show Ever, screened in three parts over Christmas 2000. In a deleted scene on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" DVD, Depp uses the "I'll get me coat" catchphrase."

I just think that the words you mention are rather common, and that absurd jokes / recursive jokes are also quite known.

Whatever. I'm not a Fast Show fan, so you'll know better than me what you're talking about.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
Arnaud said:
The first one might not be used often nowadays, but the second is quite common in street language in some parts of England.

What on Earth? "Bugger" is an extremely common word in Britain. I don't know where you live, but I hear that word at least once every day.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Arnaud said:
Well, if it's been "confirmed by many sources", then I even wonder why you ask in the first place.
However, a Google search gives this from Wikipedia: "A great favourite of Johnny Depp who appeared in a sketch with the "Suit You" tailors ("An American Gentleman") in The Last Fast Show Ever, screened in three parts over Christmas 2000. In a deleted scene on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" DVD, Depp uses the "I'll get me coat" catchphrase."

I just think that the words you mention are rather common, and that absurd jokes / recursive jokes are also quite known.

Whatever. I'm not a Fast Show fan, so you'll know better than me what you're talking about.

The "I'll get me coat" one is confirmed, but not Bugger

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
SpookTheHamster said:
What on Earth? "Bugger" is an extremely common word in Britain. I don't know where you live, but I hear that word at least once every day.

Well, that goes along with what I meant anyway, "bugger" is not that unusual.

I'm not British, I don't leave in UK. I've got a fair level of English, I'm definitely not surprised by the word bugger, but I thought it had a slightly older touch than more common expressions like "f*ck" and so on.

That's just the problem of linguistics for foreigners - you know the words you already heard, but it's harder to spot the (colloquoial/formal) type of language, the era of predominance and the geographical differences.

By the way, Sparrow says "Oh, Bugger" a second time in the movie - but I won't give away any part of the movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.