slimming down OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cb911, Jun 30, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i want to 'slim down' OS 9 a little bit, just so it'll start up classic alot faster and also to free up some disk space. what i want to know is, can i do any damage if i delete an extension that i shouldn't? and should i delete extensions, or move them to the 'Extensions (Disabled)' folder? is it safe to get rid of all the NVIDIA and ATI extensions? the only programs that i have to use in OS 9 are Quark and a couple others. does Quark or any other programs need the NVIDIA or ATI extensions?

and are there any OS 9 applications that i need to keep? i want to get rid of everything except 2 or 3 programs that i need to use, that haven't been released for X yet.

is it safe to get rid of the control strip modules that i don't need?

thanks

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

extention manager

Just use the extention manager in the contole panels. There is a drop down menu that will let you pick some thing that sounds like "OS9 Core only" pick that and then go in and add the ones that you think you need. You can also save a expentions set or several of them. I have a "slim" set, "all" set, "burrning" set. I used to have a USB CD-R and it required that it only run a very slim Expentions set inrder for it to run at top speed with out errors.

-evildead

3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Re: extention manager

yeuh.. he got it all right..

you shouldnt delete extensions.. its just not a good thing to do... besides.. the control panel is really easy to use sicnce it says the function of each extension.. if you ever need to re-enable one...

-f

4. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Definitely don't lose your extentions, this can be horrible, its happened to me. Sxitch them off, they take up virtually no space. On the other Hand, I may strip nine completely. I don't use it for anything anymore, but I'm a little aprehensive.:D

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

While Extentions Manager is a great way to disable extensions, it does not have much in the way of info for them.

If you are at all apprehensive about deleting/disabling them, then use this program: Extension Overload. It has info for pretty much EVERY extension for the Classic Mac OS. It's shareware, so you'll have to put up with some windows, but this is where I learned a great deal about what to delete and what not to. I delete with confidence now. :)

6. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i got extension overload, i'll have a look at it now.

what about control strip modules? should i get rid of the ones i don't need? or won't it make much difference?

and does extension overload only touch OS 9 extensions, control panels etc?

if i get rid of iTunes etc for OS 9, will the extensions and control strips automatically be disabled?

7. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

CSM's are one of the first things I delete. They remind me of the launcher, which I also hate.

I guess it's a matter of preference. I find that I wouldn't use any of the features on there regualarly, so I don't want the extension and/or control panel taking up residence in my global system heap. I purge anything that has no use, and my system flies.

Feel free to ask me if you're unsure of anything— OS 9 is still da bomb.

8. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s