Slingbox and 2 Airports...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iMacZealot, Oct 30, 2006.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

My brother got a Slingbox AV and we're trying to figure out how to hook it up. We have a Comcast Digital Cable box (which we have no problem hooking it up to that), a Comcast broadband modem, and that is connected to our single ethernet port equipped Airport Express. I haven't fully looked over the instructions, but it looks like the Slingbox has to hook up to a router via Ethernet. This is our problem.

Since the Airport's ethernet port is occupied by the chord going to the modem, we can't hook up the slingbox. I was wondering if we could do this:

>Buy and Airport Extreme and use the 2 Ethernet ports. I noticed that one is WAN and one is LAN. Do-able?
    >Buy Airport Extreme and use it for internet (we have a lot of computers in the house, nearing 10 comp cap on the Express) and use the current AirPort Express for the Slingbox, which, by the way, is about 15 feet away from the modem.
    >Could the AirPort Express also boost the range of the Extreme? The other end ouf our house does not get very good coverage right now.

Thanks!

2. macdragonfl macrumors regular

macdragonfl

buy another airport express

You can extend your network by setting up the second A/E as WDS relay extend the range of your network then using its ethernet for slingbox. Thinking of buying a slingbox myself how do you like it?