Slingbox for Mac Ready?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sbrhwkp3, Sep 29, 2006.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

They're not quite updated yet - the requirements still list only Windows (I've posted a direct link to their site next to a copied version; if the left image isn't the same as the right, they've fixed this):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I suspect this implies an announcement very soon, though (again, with a copied version on the right in case they revert to a non-Mac version):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

On the requirements, where in the hell do you find a Pentium 4 running at 1 GHz?

5. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Or it could be like TiVo who has a client albiet not full featured.. Yet they keep promising a new one with togo functionality...

7. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

8. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

9. bagleyb macrumors member

It's been in private beta for a couple of months now. I think they announced it began in August. Hopefully a public beta will happen soon.

Just found this as well. Has a video of the beta client.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/article/15743/

10. bagleyb macrumors member

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i still don't really get what the slingbox does... is it basically like an eyehome type device that you can play video from your computer on your tv wirelessly? it seems you can watch cable on your computer wirelessly (ie, plug the cable tv line into the slingbox, and that will broadcast to your computer)?

i just can't quite see what the primary uses would be of this thing

12. bagleyb macrumors member

Depending on which version of the SlingBox you have, you can either plug cable directly into it, or hook it up to a set top box (Tivo, Satellite, Digital Cable, etc...) and control it from your PC, Mac or Windows Mobile phone.

I use it on my phone to keep up with college football while between games at my daughters soccer tournaments.

If I'm having to work on the weekend, I use my work laptop to keep up with things.

I have an iMac in the kitchen. I was going to get a TV for the kitchen, but now I'll just use my iMac to connect to the SlingBox, now I've got everything I subscribe to on DirecTV available on my iMac, including the ability to watch what's on the DVR.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think the primary use is to allow viewing of your A/V components while out of the house, as mentioned above, and that the in-house viewing on your computers is a nice plus.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahhh, gotcha. so it's more like the reverse of eyehome (comp->tv).

definitely cool, though don't have much use for that myself (i'm sure i could find a reason to get it still though. ;))

15. bagleyb macrumors member

A lot of people also use it to get programing they can't in their area. I have a friend that just moved to North Carolina, but is a huge Oklahoma State fan. He put a slingbox at his parents house so he could still watch OSU when they were on local TV. He'll rarely get to see an OSU broadcast in NC.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Or a 1 GHz Pentium in a Mac, for that matter :rolleyes:

17. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

who is the video quality? The only thing holding me back from buying one, is not seeing one working in person.

18. bagleyb macrumors member

It's great on the LAN. I've got a classic, and A/V and a Pro. On the LAN, it looks as good as my 19" Dell LCD TV on cable or non HD Satellite. Obviously, HD looks better, but I can't tell much of a difference on SD channels when viewing full screen on my 17" iMac G5.

I only have an iMac, so I can't speak to the remote viewing on a Mac. However, on my PC it works very well in a window. You're limited by your upstream Internet connection. I've got a 1Mb upstream connection, and a 7 - 10" window on my Dell Laptop is very watchable. Full screen on my 19" monitor is pretty pixelated.

Everything I've read, remote viewing is better on a Mac, than on a Windows box, provided you have a decent upstream connection.

19. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

thanks alot, i just wish someone would set one up, can you record programming on your laptop?

20. bagleyb macrumors member

Check your PM's.

A 3rd party company wrote some software to record the streams. They updated the firmware on the boxes though, and that disabled the software.

DVR's are much better at that anyway though. Just hook it up to the DVR, and use the slingbox to control the DVR.

21. isight macrumors newbie

I guess now they have the public beta version available

http://us.slingmedia.com/object/KB-005161.html

What do you think about Sling Media Over Eyetv Hybrid or 250?

Which one is better? All i want is to watch TV no recording and stuff.

Thanks
    Isight

22. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

well, over lan the youtube is pretty darn clear, the eyetv will also be very clear, but the slingbox you can go watch anywhere, but the picture quality decreases alot